Anyone heard of a cab and chassis idi?

89fdiesel

Reaction score
So I have an 89 f350 7.3 if I and when I got the truck it had a homemade flatbed on it. I have purchased a bed for the truck and it won’t fit. The bolt holes in the bed are not even close to the frame and the body lines won’t match up. Does anyone know why this is?

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cab and chassis trucks are very common. Like on the f-superduties, they have a flat frame instead of the raised frame, so they never came with a regular bed, this is why they are referred to as an incomplete vehicle when sold.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have cab and chassis. It also says incomplete on the VIN tag.
I have heard that the wheel spacing is not the same as a bed truck, others can help on that.

89fdiesel

Reaction score
I didn’t see anything on my vin about it being incomplete but judging by the way this bed is sitting on there the wheel base is different

JackC

Reaction score
My 92 F350 dually pick up, rear frame rails are approx 37 inches apart. My 93 F350 cab & chassis frame rails are approx. R4 inches apart. Spring mounts on rear axles are also different spacing.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cab chassis and pickup chassis trucks are two completely different animals from the cab back.
cab chassis in the closest size to pickup is a 34" frame width with a 60" distance from the back of the cab to the centerline of the axle. pickup frame size is 38" wide and 54" cab to axle length. that is why the pickup bed wheel arch to axle is offset. the axle width and spring length on the cab chassis is narrower vs. the pickup axle width and spring length is longer.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your wheelbase on your cab corner tag says anything but 133" , its a cab and chassis. you can make the box work but your rear wheels will always look strange as the dually pickup and cab/chassis have different springs and track width. yours looks like a 137" wheelbase model

I've shortened a long wheelbase Cab/chassis into a 117" shortbed , no big deal , but I bolted on F350 single wheel front rotors and a single wheel onto the cab/chassis dual wheel axle. it rode like a brick LOL
I welded plates on the top edge of the frame to mount my bed then used the OEM bed holes. once you bolt the box down the body lines might line up for you.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So am I going to be able to make this bed work or not?
will you be able to make it work? yes.
will it be perfect? no.
if the bed wheel arch is centered properly, there will be a noticable gap between the cab and bed. F450's and F550's with the bed addition have a 4" filler panel added on.
it all boils down to what you're willing to live with.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will work, @towcat has one on his rig. He should be in soon to fill us in
if you're talking about the Sulaco, it started life as a SRW 4x4 pickup. I did a dually conversion with the true dually rear and dually bed.

photo of a centered bed to axle. also, note how much wider the track is on the outer dual in relation to the fender lip.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle