Anyone heard of a cab and chassis idi?

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're talking about the Sulaco, it started life as a SRW 4x4 pickup. I did a dually conversion with the true dually rear and dually bed.

You must be registered for see images attach

photo of a centered bed to axle. also, note how much wider the track is on the outer dual in relation to the fender lip.

You must be registered for see images attach

was the supercab ever offered in a Cab/chassis configuration? I've seen reg and crews but not a supercab in my many Ford years.............

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my IDI trucks is a 92 Cab Chassis truck. I bought it with a service body on it, which I absolutely hated, so I mounted a dually bed on it.

The truck is an F450, and the frame behind the cab is 11 ft. Like you, I found there are no bed mounts on the cab chassis frame, so I made them. Then, found a second bed that was not a dually bed that had been hit in the rear [got it dirt cheap that way] and cut that bed just forward of the wheel openings. The body lines are the same between dually, and single wheel beds, so it gave me all the sheet metal I needed to make my cab chassis, with an 11 ft frame, into a Looooong bed truck with a standard looking dually bed. [3 ft longer than a stock long bed.]

Took some work and made use of my welding and fab skills, but was worth it.

On your truck, looks to me like your cab mounts are mushed out and the rear of the cab is sagged... Replace the mount pucks and add big fender washers till the cab body lines match the bed body lines, after you get the bed mounts welded on.

To answer your question. IT CAN BE DONE, I did it.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a CC IDI - my '87(We call it Triple-A because it's an old tire truck and AAA refused to tow it when I first bought it).

It's probably the 11-ft frame type thing as well; it has a 12' flatbed on it which sticks past the end of the frame by a bit.

Oh, and because of the VIN(incomplete vehicle), I've had trouble getting insurance. Eventually had to get a separate "commercial, but for non-commercial use" policy through Progressive, which actually offers such a thing(for pretty cheap). Allstate, who I otherwise insure with, would not touch it.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
was the supercab ever offered in a Cab/chassis configuration? I've seen reg and crews but not a supercab in my many Ford years.............

Not until 99+ Superduty.

Dodge and Chev (not sure about Ford) offered a cab & chassis crewcabs in the 70's/80's. These are still the normal longbed crewcab pickup frame, but with the narrow DRW C&C axle.

Standard pickup wheelbases are sometimes offered with "bed delete" as an option.... to further confuse things.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not until 99+ Superduty.

Dodge and Chev (not sure about Ford) offered a cab & chassis crewcabs in the 70's/80's. These are still the normal longbed crewcab pickup frame, but with the narrow DRW C&C axle.

Standard pickup wheelbases are sometimes offered with "bed delete" as an option.... to further confuse things.

the narrow DRW diff does not fit the "pickup" frame different leafs and different width. space between inner duals would be narrower than the springs, physically impossible.

Bed delete was pretty common for fleet orders. I had a 77 F350 crew that was cab/chassis and had the upper/lower braces on it not sure what the wheelbase was but it had a 10' flatbed before I got it.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
the narrow DRW diff does not fit the "pickup" frame different leafs and different width. space between inner duals would be narrower than the springs, physically impossible.

^ That's a Ford thing. Chevy and Dodge C&C's shared frame widths and leaf springs with their pickup counterparts for many years.

Bed delete was pretty common for fleet orders. I had a 77 F350 crew that was cab/chassis and had the upper/lower braces on it not sure what the wheelbase was but it had a 10' flatbed before I got it.

I bet that's the same frame as the longbed crew. And because all the 77-older F250/350 had narrow frames and narrow springs it could fit the C&C axle just fine ;-)

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bought a 77 F350 crewcab single wheel with a bed on it down in NM many years ago and it was the same dana 70 as cab/chassis rear axle but not the same frame, pickup version did not have the top/bottom reinforcements riveted on. all 2wd 73-79 F250 regular and supercabs had wide rear frames with 3" wide leafs, same as 80-97 F250s , only the 73-mid 77 F250 highboy 4wds had the narrow rear frame and springs.

sorry getting off original topic about a newer cab/chassis.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Ironic you got a C&C truck when those looking for one cant find one. They are a good deal when needed.

On to your current issue. Don't give up too easy. The body lines are because the cab mounts are collapsed and isn't actually part of the bed issue. LMC truck is the only source right now I know of. Many poly ones around, most hate them because they are harsh.
ON the bed wheel well issue you can either live with the wheel well offset or install the bed with a gap between the cab and bed. Many creative things could be done with the gap LOL. Or just find a nice flat or low utility bed.

Or sell the C&C to someone who would like it for what is is.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Ironic you got a C&C truck when those looking for one cant find one. They are a good deal when needed.... Or just find a nice flat or low utility bed.

Or sell the C&C to someone who would like it for what is is.

+1 on a deck, utility bed, or logger box.

I have limited patience for pickup beds. Even when I try to keep them nice they get beat to snot by my normal activities. The Ford C&C frame can take more payload than a pickup before kinking.

tompands

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lift the cab up to meet the body and just live with the space between cab and box or put aux fuel tank in between

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online