Anybody know the O.D. on a Banks turbo?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
More specifically, the air inlet side. The "tech support" ( & that phrase should be used loosely) @ Banks "couldn't tell me for sure" & my manual doesn't mention the actual size. The truck is back at the tranny shop :mad: & I can't get a measurement, but would like to get the parts for my open air intake project B4 the weekend. Anybody? Thanks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't swear to it, but I'd guess it to be 2.75". Of course, I realize you want somebody who knows without a doubt, so this doesn't help. :sorry:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you gen1 or gen 2
ie...squarebox or cone air filter?
I have both versions that I can measure. one is easier to get to than the other.

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Scott,

3" O.D.

I still have a 3" ID 45 deg. I'll give you if you want it (and about 8" of pipe). My set-up is: 3" ID 45 at turbo, ~ 10" 3" OD pipe, a K&N RU-5045 (4" ID) and a 3" to 4" rubber bushing to join the pipe into the filter. I went the 3" to 4" bushing so I could get the biggest filter area in the volume I had to work with.

Slobber tube.

John

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Towcat - gen 2, but if John has the gen 2 also, question answered. Are you 2nd generation John?

Also, where would I look for an RDT? NAPA or something like that? Where do they exit under the truck?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
apextrans said:
Also, where would I look for an RDT? NAPA or something like that? Where do they exit under the truck?
An RDT is really something you'll have to make yourself. I don't know of any auto parts store that make an "RDT Conversion Kit", and if they did, can you imagine the fit the treehuggers would throw?

It's very straightforward, though. You've already got the adapter that goes on the injector pump gear housing under the oil filler pipe, right? It should have been installed as part of the Banks kit. There'll be a hose on the nipple on that adapter that goes to the relocated CDR valve on the air intake...remove this hose from the CDR valve and find a way to plug the hole (I used a rubber expansion plug). You can then remove the hose from the adapter side and get a length of hose with the same inside diameter and hook it up to the nipple. Oil-resistant hose is best (you can get bilge hose from West Marine), but I'm just using cheap-o wasing machine discharge hose for now...it works, but the oil's eventually going to eat away at the rubber. From the nipple, you can run the hose anywhere you want. Just, keep in mind that at idle, white smoke will be coming out of the end of this hose...no harm done by this, except that there may be legal complications. So, finding a way to conceal this may not be a bad thing.

Also, whatever you do, make sure that the RDT hose is as free-flowing as possible!!! For that reason, although I can readily understand getting the hose exit behind the cab from a smell perspective, the shorter your hose, the better. If the crankcase builds up too much pressure as a result of the RDT not letting enough gases escape fast enough, those gases WILL find a way out...on my truck, they found their way out the front and rear main seals. cookoo I was in a hurry, and put on a breathing oil filler cap at first, and that put too much restriction in the system...

Hope this helps some...good luck!!

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Scott,
I don't know about 2nd generation. I do know the sidewinder was purchased from Banks in 96. I verified the 3". Still got the elbow.
John

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Thanks for the RDT info Warden. Kinda what I thought. John, is your airbox square or is it round with a cone fliter inside? Square is 1st Gen & round is 2nd Gen. 2nd looks like this:

Attachments

• PA150077.JPG
    PA150077.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 15

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Cool! (no pun intended) 3"O.D. it is then. I'm shooting for a Moose air replica. I like the filter over by the fender to keep clean and get plenty of cool air. Thanks for the input guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online