anybody ever change the solenoid at starter?

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likelyhood of me gettin.g it out?
Replaced all my cables the stud is loose won't tighten, sometimes when i key it on and try to crank it I get a singular click, cycle it back then on and Bam it fires up ?

I was going to do fenderwell and this one at once but I was curious as its got Phillips head screws holding it in how likely I was to get it out

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can do it, but usualy on diesel starters, by the time the solenoid is shot, the starter is not far behind. There are a number of diesel starters that they simply do not make the solenoids available to the public for just that reason, they only sell to rebuilders , to keep folks from getting ticked off because they know that the starter is going to fold shortly behind the solenoid. I'm as cheap as( OK, WAY cheaper than ) the next guy , but diesel starters, you just have to bite the bullet on . Make sure that your connections are clean and your batts and cables are good first before condemning anything. I've been putting a hard load on my truck with the new e fan setup and I have to put a trickle charge on it every few weeks or it will poop out on me right now until I get the money up to get my alternater upgraded ( just got through dropping a bunch of cash getting the remains of a '41 Chevy for my Son and asociated equipment to retrieve it so my wallet is a bit light right now :D

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Did it on mine, only replaced it because the bolts were stripped.

Was pretty easy, just take the starter off.

Replacing the part was easier than getting the starter it's self off and on.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
three different starters,all different procedures. need more info.

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stud is loose won't tighten so main reason before vibration snaps it off and leaves me stranded, I rebuilt all cables , except Dr side ground, to 2/0 then ran out of connectors.

Monday I gotta built a new body to batt ground, new batt to frame ground (both in 6ga). Finish building the Dr side ground cable , I ran out of connector ends.

I've got a misc cable running from my firewall sol. Down around bottom of my engine thats bout 12 ft to long its jerry rigged 16ga wire, I'm pretty sure thats my signal switch wire, so ill make a new run of 10 ga.

I can't afford a new starter right now I'm trying sit money away because I'm starting a new job making a bunch more but when i start I won't get paid for 3 weeks so in due time.

But I gotta say upgrading all of my wire thus far it started first try , bout 20 seconds of cranking after a 10 count on the Gp button, in 10* f weather . Set me back bout 140, 100 for wire and connectors. Def worth it. Gotta go back and heat shrink it all though

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are three distinctly different starters 6.9/7.3's use.
it would help immensely if you can identify the brand of starter you have. the repair procedure is different on each.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The starter solenoid on my '93 is above the passenger side wheel. I replaced it once.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
The starter solenoid on my '93 is above the passenger side wheel. I replaced it once.

That's actually the fender mounted starter relay, he's asking about the solenoid mounted on the starter itself. Anthony, you need to figure out exactly which starter it is, as stated above. Congrats on the new job, man.

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the brand there's not a mark on this thing anywhere, what brand are the high speed starter that everybody talks bout getting ?

Maybe ill get some 40/50 epoxy from work and glue it centered, good or bad idea?

Thanks I appreciate it I took a 10 dollar pay cut when the economy tanked, ill be within 4 dollars of that, so ill be throwing some money at my truck

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is going on hold my truck go broken into they stole everything including work tools well over 1000$ worth of stuff

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
This is going on hold my truck go broken into they stole everything including work tools well over 1000$ worth of stuff

damn, that really sucks. i can say that i kind of know how it feels. allthough in my case the did not steal anything of value nor hurt my truck.