Any turbo-specific engine swap tips?

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

In around 1 week I will be swapping in a new (used) engine since mine locked up. I have a good feel for removing an NA engine since I did that to get my new engine, but I am curious if anyone has tips specific to the turbo engines? I have a 1st gen banks kit with the rectangle intake.

I remember getting the trans bolt behind the downpipe was a **** doing the trans, is there a trick to that?

Thanks!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've always done that with the down pipe out. I've never tried to pull or install an engine with a turbo installed. Ok. Check that I've never tried it with an IDI. A first gen 7.3PSD will come out with the turbo on the engine fairly easily if it has a 4R100 transmission. Some people like to jack up the cab in order to do the swap with the turbo on. I've never tried that either. It seems like a bunch of extra work to me. Kind of like removing the front end of the truck and removing all of the wires, lines, and hoses just to pull the engine out with the accessories attached to it.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The phrase there are 100 ways to skin a cat apply here my plan of attack is get everything out of my way also jacking the cab helps a bunch I do it on all newer Ford's and dodges it takes 10 min to loosen all the cab bolts and Jack the front of the cab up a few inches ondodges it's better than pulling valve cover and 6 injector and Ford's helps with turbo and of has a zf

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am debating removing radiator core, and lifting up the cab a bit. Is this a risky thing to get into? I don't want all my body panels to be mismatched once I get it back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828