Any John Deere swaps or technicians out there? Considering a 4.5L Turbo I-4 swap.

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently aquired an inline 4-cyl 4.5L JD turbo diesel. These things are rated anywhere from 80-150HP from Deere. I've got some questions about the motor AND about doing an actual swap as well. I'm just wondering how much power I could make economically with one, just by some simple adjustments. I can't really find much on how to turn up the injector pump. Also the stock turbo (Air research T04, no wastegate, no coolant line, no vac/boost line) needs rebuilt....I'm wondering if I should take the opportunity to upgrade to a slightly bigger one from another stock diesel. For example I can't get a stock GM-8 turbo from a 96 6.5 for basically FREE. OR I can rebuild the T04 for about $40. The rig will be a 1950 IH pickup on top of a modified Crown Victoria chassis. BUT I hadn't planned on aquiring a 900lb diesel either, so I'm not sure if I can get the chassis suspension to handle an extra 300+lbs.

First I guess I need to see if the JD motor is even any good. It supposedly had a knock, but I suspect the bad turbo and worn out waterpump were causing the noise.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure on these... I know there is a fella who works for JD on here.... he is putting a 6.9 in a old Binder..... @lilHank maybe he has some info on these...........

But a Deere in a Binder...... SMH.......... ;Poke;Poke

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I know, I know.....I've got 3 idi's already. Two need rebuilt though and the other is in a truck. Plus they're even heavier. It's just goin to be a RatRod and I wanted to put a 4BT in it, but plans had changed gears and went with the crown Vic chassis and intended to build a nasty gasser for it.....THEN this thing kinda fell into my lap lol.

lilHank

Reaction score
So the engine you have can make some good hp but there not really high rpm ratings good for fuel economy but not for speed. its max rpm is probably 2800 lol. If you want the engine to make the most power and have it built I would talk to a guy in Kansas he is a certified john deere engine tec we get a lot of engines from him he can do all the pump and injector work and build the engine if I was you I would probably look for some kind of IH engine would be cooler. Let me know

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7