Any ideas how to get more air???

Skinny Lennie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with trying to get your FIPL adjusted a little bit. Also, if there's no smoke at all, your fuel may need to be turned up a little bit. Those two may give you the results that you're wanting.
I was thinking about turning the ip up a flat I’ve never done it to this truck. I don’t have a egt gauge but I don’t think 1 flat on a NA motor is gonna melt much.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You should be fine since you're not seeing any smoke at all. I don't think you'd need any more than that. Although, it's easier to get high EGTs with a N/A engine than one that has a turbo. The turbo pushes more air into the engine to burn the fuel more completely.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously a turbo but I did read your post.

From what I've seen more air won't do you much good without more exhaust. Either a set of headers and duals or a better Y pipe and exhaust. Couple that with a hypermax cowl intake and that should net you a little more performance for an NA. Might not be enough gains to justify the work though.
I put 3 inch exhaust on mine. Removed the restrictive stock stuff and the screens in the tip. Made zero performance difference

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put 3 inch exhaust on mine. Removed the restrictive stock stuff and the screens in the tip. Made zero performance difference

But did you turn the IP up at all to compensate for the additional airflow?

And... Removed the screens in the tip? What are you referring to?

KevSrFord

Reaction score
I'm soon going to relocate my batteries under my flatbed and make my own custom forced air cold air intake. It will utilize the stock air cleaner housing with 2 tubes coming to where my batteries are and scoops through the front on each side of the radiator that will force more air in the faster you are going.
I have the picture in my mind of how I am going to do it. I'll try to sketch it out and post it for those interested.
I'll get it done after dinner.

KevSrFord

Reaction score
I'm sorry for the crude drawing. I have a broken left wrist right now and I'm left handed so writing is not easy. But this is how I plan on doing a cold air forced intake. There will be rectangular openings on each side of the radiator going into 4" tubes that go to each side of the air cleaner. I already cut out the soup bowl.
It will take a little welding around the radiator support when I cut the openings, but nothing difficult.
It should not only allow more natural flow of air but also force air in as I am moving.

You must be registered for see images attach

True IDI Blue

Reaction score
Since you are looking for your air intake parts my local junk yard has them on a parts truck. If you look at your rad core support on the driver side below the battery shelf is a square hole. This is where your air intake is. It is held on by one bolt. Hope you get that help. My 7.3 pulls a strong hill with a 4 speed.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in the mountains of North Carolina. The truck can run 70 mph on flat no problem but once a slight incline comes in to play it backs down to 60mph and on a steep hill 50mph. I have the e4od and I’m thinking the fipl might need tweaked due to a good take off in 1st then 2nd and almost immediately into 3rd from 2nd. She will get me where I’m going just not as quick as everyone else. She’s a good truck no smoke at all and idles gorgeously.
So which direction would you adjust the FIPL? Less voltage, or more voltage?

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at that hypermax cowl intake. A guy down here did one on a 24 valve Cummins and it actually does work. Kind of impressed.