Any Good 7.3 IDI Mechanics In Missouri?

Cowboy.2010

Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any good 7.3 idi mechanics in missouri cant hardly find anyone to work on my 2 1994 7.3 turbo diesels if any of you guys no of anyone who knows there way around these engines and trucks let me no Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. If you could post what you need help with maybe someone would be able to tell you or drop by and help you with the issues. Some members will travel for lunch.. some for beer and some just to help another out. So please tel us what you want done.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you located thats my home state an I have people who can work on it for you if you are in the right area.

Cowboy.2010

Reaction score
I live in central Missouri in a small town called Iberia. I have two 1994 Ford 7.3 turbo diesels. I recently bought the second one. I barely made it home with it lol. I went and looked at it twice and test drove it couldent find any problems besides the belt tensioner pully bearing going bad and a minor valve cover leak. It ran real smooth no smoke or miss. About half way home out of the blue it just went to smoking and missing badly. When I got it home I checked the fuel filter and it was horribly dirty so I put a new filter and filled the filter up with sea foam to try to possibly clean the injectors if that was the problem I droped both tanks. The back tank was pretty nasty I cleaned them and put them back on and now it is not really missing but still idles white smoke and has a slight miss every now and then. I have not ran it much sense I done all of that so it might possibly clear up but I really doubt it lol. I ran a compression check and it showed up good. So I think I am gonna just put new injectors and a new rebuilt pump. The truck has 138,000 miles and is prolly needing it anyways. The other truck I have I am wanting to do the same thing is put new injectors and new pump. I recently redone the heads it had a missing problem when I bought it and the valve guides had excessive play and it had one pitted valve causing the missing. We tested the injectors and they tested weak then so I no its needing a set and might as well do the pump while where at it. I kinda no my way around these trucks but I really just dont have the time to work on them. I am just hopeing the new truck is just the injectors or pump and not somthing more major like valves or guides or somthing like that but i would of hoped that would have showed up in the compression check inless I need to do a leak down check. I no it could possibly be air intrusion in the return lines I might try replacing them befor I do anything. I would just like to find a good 6.9/7.3 IDI mechanic that I can trust I love these engines.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am from springfield/Branson still own houses both places if you are able to get around there I can point you there way. My dad also still lives there an sells car paint he has his own brand. If you need paint at some point let me know.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What kind of dirt was in the tanks. If it was a reddish looking slime then its alge and will need to be killed. Then removing it from the fuel systems is really tuff.. Al those dead critters will plug up the fuel filter fast.

Cowboy.2010

Reaction score
To me it looked like you normal rust/dirt looking stuff and yea I will have to get in touch with you on the paint I do a fair amount of painting like to do autobody/paint work as a hobby

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Welcome to the Oilburners site. You are already on the right track as I am a huge fan of compression testing an engine as a base line. I am a bit far to physically lend a hand but you are in a good place for guidance with these rigs. Look at your injectors, if they have grey paint they may be originals and due for replacing. Also, put your trucks specs in your signature so we can see what you are dealing with. I couldn't imagine letting a shop work on my truck, Corey, DIESELCRAWLER is his handle on this site, is one of very few who have worked on my rig. The other two, money that was ill spent or I had to go over what was done and wrap up little details that should've been addressed.:backoff Good luck with your rigs and keep us posted.;Sweet

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I bet the new truck needs an IP. If you have the issue again, espically since it is cool here now, dump some water on the IP and see if the problem changes. Nees enough to change the core temp of the IP. NOT A TELL TALE solution if it does NOT work, but if it does, you need an IP.

SWS

Cowboy.2010

Reaction score
Well I just broke down and sent off my injection pump and injectors to DPS Performance to be rebuilt and turn the injectors into stage ones's. I hope he does a good job lol he seemed like a good guy over the phone. I don't no if I'm much of a fan on the way he turns the injectors into stage ones by shaving the pintle. But I thought I would give them a try. As far as my other truck that needs just the injectors I will prolly just order a set of pressure matched injectors for it. I took the truck to a guy that claims he worked for ford when the idi where new and he acts like he no's a fair amount about them I guess I will find out.

Last edited:

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just broke down and sent off my injection pump and injectors to DPS Performance to be rebuilt and turn the injectors into stage ones's. I hope he does a good job lol he seemed like a good guy over the phone. I don't no if I'm much of a fan on the way he turns the injectors into stage ones by shaving the pintle. But I thought I would give them a try. As far as my other truck that needs just the injectors I will prolly just order a set of pressure matched injectors for it.

You are going to have more problems then you can imagine :hail

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Type 4 is your best bet for injectors from what most say here. Some like the DPS stuff and others hate it. Good luck with it either way. I bet when you get it finished, you will be good to go.

SWS