another idi psd swap question

led sled

Reaction score
ok first off, im doing the swap im not selling the truck to buy a psd, and im not going cummins.

Ok MY truck is a 94 idi 4x4 with a e4od trans. The donor is a 94 1/2 psd 2x4 with a manual tranny. I bought the 6 stud converter and flex plate as someone else on here said. But what he did not discuss is how the wiring went as far as running the idi's e4od with the psd wiring?? My idi tranny was recently rebuilt and was upgraded with "stronger parts" Is the psd wiring standard and just has more plug into itfor different accesories and options? know i will get conflicting stories but any help is appreciatec. Reason i am not using the manual tranny is because it is a jasper reman and dont have the money for it

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Look at it and see if the connectors are different. I would almost bet money that the selonoid packs and other things are different. POSSIBLY be able to swap the PSD parts (electrics) over and have it work. Not sure, but if the PSD was a 5 spd, run the IDI computer and call it a day. You will need a way to make the FIPPLE meet with the throttle on the PSD. If you did that, the only issue I can see would be the converter if it is different. May want to call the PSD tranny shop in AK to be for sure. Lots of good reviews but I can not remember the name for the life of me.

SWS

led sled

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I know the converters are different, the idi was a 4 bolt and the psd is a 6 bolt, that I have confirmed as others have stated on here. Just stressing over this tranny working with the idi wiring, I know I need the psd harness for the pedal and the obd port. But thanks again for the input very much appreciated, hoping to draw someone in here that's done this exact same swap with same parts

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need every bit of wiring from the donor including the taillight wiring.taillight wiring can be spliced if you want to do it.for the idi e4od to work with the psd you will need to swap the solenoid pack in the tranny.

For the time and money you are gonna spend youd be ahead of the game by just buying a psd truck.unless everything and I mean everything in your truck is new

led sled

Reaction score
First issue I ran into today was the flex plate won't bolt to the psd. The spacer or whatever it's called doesn't stick out of the block far enough for the flex plate to clear the block, even without the spacer it hits, what's that "spacer" called?? And where can I get it. Calling my tranny guy tomorrow about this "spacer" to see if he can get it, looked online and couldn't find it for anything

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
To make your E4OD work with a manual PCM truck is easy. Adds to the cost but you're better off this way. Aftermarket TCM like PCS will make the wiring easy. You don't need any of the factory E4OD harness.

The spacer you need is called a "spacer" You need the E4OD/4R100 spacer. Ford, transmission shop, or a junkyard for this part.

led sled

Reaction score
ok so i cant find this spacer online. we are about to get hit with this damn hurricane so i will call my tranny guy once it all passes, but if anyone has one lying around please let me know. like i said its for a PSD out of a 94 1/2 and im bolting a 94 e4od tranny to it. and i need that "stress ring" or whatever its called which goes on the bolt side of the flexplate (thin washer stile ring that goes over the flexplate and the bolts go through it. Also i have an IDI motor lying around if anyone needs anything just looking into my previous threads. Thanks in advance guys.

i did find these part numbers but no pictures to verify that its the right spacer that is thick enough to clear the flexplate from the block
F5TZ 6A366-A---------spacer
F4TZ 6A366-A---------stress ring

led sled

Reaction score
To make your E4OD work with a manual PCM truck is easy. Adds to the cost but you're better off this way. Aftermarket TCM like PCS will make the wiring easy. You don't need any of the factory E4OD harness.

so what exactly do i need to find to put in my truck as far as a ecu/pcm in order to get this powerstroke to work with this e4od from my idi, i hva efound ecu's on rockauto however they list like 10 different ones depending on serial off the old ecu (which i do not have)???

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

so what exactly do i need to find to put in my truck as far as a ecu/pcm in order to get this powerstroke to work with this e4od from my idi, i hva efound ecu's on rockauto however they list like 10 different ones depending on serial off the old ecu (which i do not have)???

You will need the PCM and wiring from your donor truck. As for the tranny use a stand alone controller. www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com

This will cover the transmission end of your wiring. There are a few former ZF owners using this set up with a PSD.:D

led sled

Reaction score
You will need the PCM and wiring from your donor truck. As for the tranny use a stand alone controller. www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com

This will cover the transmission end of your wiring. There are a few former ZF owners using this set up with a PSD.:D

so i check out the website u gave and found their "simple shift control module" is that what you are referring too? what if i was to just get the wiring and ecu/pcm and whatever else from behind the dash from a auto 7.3 95-97 would that work? dont really have $600 to kick out for that simple shift thing they offer .....thanks again for the help

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to find an auto psd truck for the main underhood harness and wiring to the tranny and ecm from an auto psd.everything is plug in and go.

led sled

Reaction score
ok cool. im checking with local junk yards now for the ecm for an auto trans. i have everything else. this hurricane kinda put everything else on hold

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with stand alone. It would make your life easier. If your tight for cash, start the junk yard diving. My buddy may have some PSD harnesses laying around if you want me to hit him up and see, he has two 6b swaped fords right now.

Where in MD are you? I am in columbia currently, use to live in Parkville right outside of the city, just got back into an idi, or will once I get home and pick the old girl up. Do you have any turbo up and down pipes or was that an NA motor?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're gonna ask you for the ecm code.any will work as long as it comes out of an auto psd truck.

Try to get the TDE1 ecm.has the better tranny and glowplug programming.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker