amsoil bypass setup, which filter where

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I bought a used amsoil dual bypass oil filter from someone. It didn't come with instructions but can someone tell me which filter goes where? Like there are two places for filters on the little amsoil dealie and a full flow and bypass filter so which one where. Does it matter?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Not a problem...

Ok the bypass filter is the first filter and the full flow filter is the second filter.

So if you hold it in your right hand with the oil lines pointing toward your left then the left filter is the bypass filter and the right filter is the full flow filter.

I think it matters which filter goes where because of pressures...

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Cool, okay. What is that little spring thing that you can see on the input side like inside of the filter head for where the full flow filter goes? When i was just looking at it guessing it seems that to me the full flow would have been the first one because it seems like maybe that spring thing keeps only some oil going to the second filter. *shrugs*

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Darrin Tosh said:
What Travis said,...I just replaced both of mine bout 2 hours ago,....

Hey Darrin, just out of curiosity, how many miles do you go between oil changes with that by-pass system. How long do to "cypher" it take for the system to pay for itself in fewer oil changes? OkieGringo

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
AMSOIL recommends this...

Change full flow filter at 7500 miles - Don't forget to top off oil.
Change bypass filter at 15000 miles.
Change Oil at 15000 miles.

I can run these intervals on mine - oil samples still show that the oil is good to go at this point.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
argve said:
AMSOIL recommends this...

Change full flow filter at 7500 miles - Don't forget to top off oil.
Change bypass filter at 15000 miles.
Change Oil at 15000 miles.

I can run these intervals on mine - oil samples still show that the oil is good to go at this point.

Travis, are you using the by-pass that you had on the "Enterprise"? Same results on the"E"? Is the oil visably cleaner? How are Sherri and the kids doing? How's the new job? Okie/Baja

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Can't tell much by looking at the oil - it's still black but if you wipe it between your fingers you can tell it's still clean - oil samples show that it's doing it's job (and quite well I might add)... Yep it's the same one that was on The E - just had to get a different spin on adapter.

Job... well it's a job - it's not bad but at this place we have more going on so I actually work a living now :eek: (not used to that LOL )

Family is doing pretty good - were gonna go race in the Pinewood derby tomorrow so that should be fun - then tomorrow night we are going to an indoor demo derby/Monster Truck show :thumbsup: :D

Baja.... if your thinking of getting one PM me first because I might be able to help a brotha out...

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Hey Darrin, just out of curiosity, how many miles do you go between oil changes with that by-pass system. How long do to "cypher" it take for the system to pay for itself in fewer oil changes? OkieGringo

Hey ******, I really haven't had it long enough, or put enough miles on it without something happening to make a pattern out of it. Like for instance I sent in a oil sample last year and had antifreze in the oil, so I changed it out with regular oil for a while. I think it got in there when changing a water pump, because I haven't had any problem since. So I just changed the filters and put the amsoil in again.

As far as intervals, my Brother and Dad go about 50K on there PSD's before actually changing the oil. They do the samples every 10K and change the filters regularly.

Travis, How'd the Pinewood Derby Go? my daughter Taylor and I have been working on hers tonight, and the big race is Wednessday.

Later,
Darrin

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep the Rotella will work - but watch your oil samples because it may or may not break down faster. Any bypass system is going to extend your oil life no matter what brand but once you start going for the longer intervals you need to know for sure how far you can go.

Darrin,

not too bad didn't win top honors but didn't place dead last either - middle of the field... I think it was the Dodge Cummins logo on the back of the car that made the difference LOL ;p