Air Cond. Question

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to charge my air cond, put the guage on it with the can and it showed low, my comp cycle's off and on about every 40 seconds, when it's on the guage on the 134 shows about 30 ( it should be about 40 ) then the com. kicks off and the guage on the can shoots up to 50 ( shows alert on the guage ) then as soon as it gets up to 50 the comp kicks back on and the guage shows 30 again, this will do this about every 40 seconds. Should i keep adding the 134 even when the comp shuts off or should i stop? Does this sound normal?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
My moms 2000 durango just had a similar problem. we would turn the "coldness" level switch to full throttle. then we would turn the fan on and we would hear a hissing sound every so often. about the same times you are descrbing. the noise was like pressure releasing. so we took it to our mechanic guy and he said that he does not do A/C b/c for him it is not economicaly smart. so we left the vehicle with him and they took it to another place/guy that does A/C work. they checked the level of charge and it was almost empty. they topped it off and the noises stopped and it blows ice cold right away now.;Sweet

the A/C compressor was kicking on and off at about the same time intervals as yours is. i would start the truck up and sit in the cab with the windows up and radio off and listen. i know these diesels make some noise but....

Sorry i can't tell you anything about your numbers but it sounds like you problem is similar to what mine was. i would find out how much refrigerant your truck is supposed to have and then fill it to spec and go from there.

Good luck.

It would be sweet if all i needed to do to my truck was add refrigerant, but i will be more interested in getting heat in the near future than i will a/c. Summer is going by so fast.-cuss:backoff

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
keep adding the compressor kicks on to lower the pressure keep filling until the compressor stays on and the pressure is around 40 to 50

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To stop that, pull the pressure switch on the dryer, short it out with a paper clip bent to shape in a U, with the A/C on MAX and Fan on HI, engine running, add the 134A until a little frost shows on the low side (big tube coming out of the firewall) keep A/C on engine running for 5-10 minutes, if frost increases, let off a little gas til frost is not seen. You'll have ice cold A./C

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To stop that, pull the pressure switch on the dryer, short it out with a paper clip bent to shape in a U, with the A/C on MAX and Fan on HI, engine running, add the 134A until a little frost shows on the low side (big tube coming out of the firewall) keep A/C on engine running for 5-10 minutes, if frost increases, let off a little gas til frost is not seen. You'll have ice cold A./C

Thats cheating and you know it,:backoff works great tho.;Sweet Old mechanics trick.lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance