Ah crap... Need help before I pick the truck up and throw it

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was having some serious issues with the truck a couple weeks ago. I broke the turbo oil drain and it was puking oil everywhere. I had already ordered some new parts from banks to tidy up my turbo install and I decided I was going to fix my janky turbo oil feed. Before I had a T on the back of the motor with my mech oil pressure gauge coming off the side and turbo oil feed the top. Well i tore the T off and them I made the mistake of loosening the 1/8in line that went into the oil galley hole. Now with my downpipe and uppipe in the way I cant get anything to plug that hole up with. Its so tight with everything there im loosing my mind! Plus im SOL with the truck till I can get it closed back up. I need some ideas and thoughts on how to get this fixed. I have been able to get a 1/8in fitting on top of that hole but I cant get anything to thread in. Just to double check, the rear engine oil galley plug is 1/8in on the 6.9L correct?

Thanks again, ive been fighting this one thing for almost a week now. Im fed up.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
It is a 1/8" fitting. Is there room to get your hand back there? Maybe instead of a plug, use a short brass tube with a cap on it so you have something to hold onto?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its really really tight back there, I actually have both a plug and a tube that I was trying to work with today, but its still giving me all sorts of trouble. Im about to cut off the downpipe so I can pull it all back out and be done with it.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, I might be able to convince one of my friends. Or maybe I can try the free candy thing.... hmm haha

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
The up pipe and down pipe cannot be THAT hard to get out, then put back in.

OR!!!! and this is quite a bit of work, but it will get you up there... You can drop the driveline, jack the trans, then pull the transmission crossmember. Then drop the jack and let it hang. (you will need a ******** for the trans) That will tilt the motor down and you can get to that hole from underneath. It's the LONG way, and a stone cold B!^@*H to get that far, but it may get you the room/angle you need.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Maybe remove the trans support and drop down the rear of the trans and engine. Or try reaching up from under the truck. All 6.9 oil ports are 1/8 inch national pipe threads. Only the 7.3 turbo block has 1/4 inch national pipe threaded oil ports. Might be time to remove the turbo too. Cutting a hand hole in the firewall would not be a good idea either.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i ended up grabbing a sawzaw and chopped the exhaust off the truck. Pulled the DP out and gained enough room to plug that stupid hole. In the process I crunched my VRV, now i need a new one. Does anyone have one they could sell me?? or should I just get a new one through ford?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a 1/4" oil galley plug anywhere on the block or should I just pull from the 1/8" plug that banks tells me to?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The short answer is yes but there is a but... Only the true turbo blocks have the 1/4 inch oil galley plugs... All other 6.9 and 7.3 blocks have the 1/8 inch oil galley plugs. Now looking at the block cylinder walls you will see 1/4 inch plugs on any block but those are the block coolant drains only. They are 1/4 inch on all blocks too.