Advise on pulling a big load!

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Next weekend I'm headed down to Moab to do some rock crawlin' with a few friends in our Toyota pickups ;Sweet

My plan is to put two Toyota trucks on one trailer (goose neck) and pull it across the state and back with my non turbo 86 F250 . I'm quessing (I'm going to find out for sure before we leave...) that we will be pulling around 10,000 lbs. 3800-4000 lbs. for both trucks plus the weight of a 35 foot trailer.

For starters is this weight going to kill my truck?!? :rolleyes: and what advise/recomendations can you give me before I hit the road? I have an aftermarket coolant temp guage, pyrometer, brake controller, really annoying strait pipe, 3.55 gears in synthetic oil--other than that the truck is mostly stock.

Also (assuming that I can get up to speed LOL ) what is the best RPM range for fuel milage? I've never pulled a load like this with anything but a newer Dodge Cummins or GM 6.5 Turbo so any feedback would be greatly appreciated ;Sweet

Andrew

benwill1

94Ecabfaciditrb4x4
Reaction score
That weight will not kill your truck. Start out slow. Keep an eye on the pyrometer. I would think it will do as good as the GM 6.5. I'm not sure what to say about rpms. I have an auto(overdrive) with 4.10 gears, I run around 2,000 RPMs.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've ran for years with no turbo on my F450's. 10k unloaded. 15k legal gross. done 16k-18k often and 21k twice.
7.3, ZF5, 4.56 & 5.13 rears.
You're not going to accelerate fast, but you'll get there as long as you watch the gauges. Pyro and trans oil temp if you have AT. Bet on being the slowest to get there but you'll get there and back if you treat her right.;Sweet
don't worry, these trucks are built to work hard.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man you asked this question at just the right time. This next week I will be pulling a loaded up (est 10,000 + lbs) 24 ft gooseneck from Houston to Virginia. I have taken all the precautions (EGT, Trans Temp, Big Trans cooler, new brake controller) but am still a little concerned about EGT's once I get to the hills.

I was originally planning to have my turbo on prior to the trip (it's ready to go) but had a battle with the truck for 2 weeks (nickel dime stuff) that ate up all of my potential installation time.

So I too am nervous about burning up my engine. Slow and steady I guess. I better stock up music before I leave it's going to be a really long trip.

Have fun down in Moab. ;Sweet I have been really itching to go there for at least 10 years (first time I saw lions back) but life isn't giving me the option currently. I have a standing offer of a place to stay and a Jeep to drive when I make it out. Enjoy your trip. And report back with pictures and stories.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just keep it wound up and don't lug it and you'll be fine. You have a 4 speed , no OD, 3.55 is a hair tall. If you lug the thing, you'll hate yourself in the morning -cuss Keep the rpms up 2500-3000 or so while pulling, it'll keep the temps down and keep you from tearing the thing up. With that kind of load on and no turbo the thing is just going to fall on it's face below that anyway, especially at that altitude. If the hill is really steep, anticipate your downshifts early, you'll see what I mean the first time :D Rule of thumb on these engines back when I was doing fleet maintanence on them was if you can't accelerate to governer rpm at 2/3 throttle, you're lugging it, drop a gear. THey may sound like they're screaming at 3200, but it's OK :eek: HAlf that horrid noise is that fan /airplane propeller on the front of the engine trying to take off, but it does a great job of cooling at that speed ;Sweet

1.5 million miles stuck behind the wheel of a big truck has to be good for something :D

-------Robert

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No more than 10,000-pounds ??:dunno

Why, it ought to run out from under itself with no more than that.:backoff

You guys need to hook to some big loads of cattle and see just what these trucks are really capable of.;Sweet

An IDI with a manual transmission will pull as much as any one-ton size diesel truck; Now, I said PULL, I didn't say race with it; get used to being passed a lot.

An automatic:puke: is a different story; I could go on and on about the automatics that would not even launch the load, let alone pull it; I am not knocking the automatics, just stating a simple fact.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Thanks! you guy's are awesome :hail

I'm really getting excited now. It's been a long winter and a couple of hot days in Moab always starts the summer off good :D

There are two major climbs-not sure of the grade-that will be fairly brutal other than that it's pretty flat. Anyway hopefully I won't have to worry about excessive engine temps the whole time the way I did with my old 6.5L GM :rolleyes:

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
The load in my avatar is being pulled on a 6500 lb(when empty gooseneck)with a C6 and non turbo 7.3.1000 miles.Hope that wil help you get confidence.
Dirtleg-when you go downhill in the smokies go slow,watch for brake fade-both truck& trailer. U will be fine.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No more than 10,000-pounds ??:dunno

Why, it ought to run out from under itself with no more than that.:backoff

You guys need to hook to some big loads of cattle and see just what these trucks are really capable of.;Sweet

An IDI with a manual transmission will pull as much as any one-ton size diesel truck; Now, I said PULL, I didn't say race with it; get used to being passed a lot.

An automatic:puke: is a different story; I could go on and on about the automatics that would not even launch the load, let alone pull it; I am not knocking the automatics, just stating a simple fact.
I don't know who you're referring to, but the numbers I posted don't have a trailer involved. That's just spread between my front and rear axles. yup. you read it right.:eek:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be advised that once you are at 10,001# trailer weight, you are legally required to have a Class A CDL in most states (laws vary somewhat by state).

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next weekend I'm headed down to Moab to do some rock crawlin' with a few friends in our Toyota pickups ;Sweet

My plan is to put two Toyota trucks on one trailer (goose neck) and pull it across the state and back with my non turbo 86 F250 . I'm quessing (I'm going to find out for sure before we leave...) that we will be pulling around 10,000 lbs. 3800-4000 lbs. for both trucks plus the weight of a 35 foot trailer.

For starters is this weight going to kill my truck?!? :rolleyes: and what advise/recomendations can you give me before I hit the road? I have an aftermarket coolant temp guage, pyrometer, brake controller, really annoying strait pipe, 3.55 gears in synthetic oil--other than that the truck is mostly stock.

Also (assuming that I can get up to speed LOL ) what is the best RPM range for fuel milage? I've never pulled a load like this with anything but a newer Dodge Cummins or GM 6.5 Turbo so any feedback would be greatly appreciated ;Sweet

Andrew

I HATE YOU! J/K

Any other year I'd be IN Moab right now - this is Easter Jeep Safari week.

But alas, injured ribs and the resultant inability to do the neccessary wrench/prep work kept me from going this year.

Oh well, there's always Labor Day - which gives me all summer to get ready.

BTW, if you're going down this time of year, don't expect anything more than warm days - and borderline cold nights. If you do you're likely to be very disappointed... :D

Have fun and be safe!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be advised that once you are at 10,001# trailer weight, you are legally required to have a Class A CDL in most states (laws vary somewhat by state).

To further clarify this statement, if the build-plate on the trailer says 10,000 or more, a Class-A CDL is required, regardless of the actual weight that might be on the trailer at any given time; meaning that, even EMPTY, any trailer RATED at 10,000 or more automatically puts you in Class-A territory.

My understanding is CDL requirements are nationwide across the board.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To further clarify this statement, if the build-plate on the trailer says 10,000 or more, a Class-A CDL is required, regardless of the actual weight that might be on the trailer at any given time; meaning that, even EMPTY, any trailer RATED at 10,000 or more automatically puts you in Class-A territory.

My understanding is CDL requirements are nationwide across the board.

:eek: Well that puts some anxiety in the equation. I "Have To" make this trip so it's going to get done no matter. But when I get back to Virginia I'll have to see about what it'll take to get legal. I already know the answer; "Mo Money"
What will the effect be on my car insurance if I have a class A CDL? Anyone know the answer to that? Curious.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online