Adjusting boost?

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if these questions seem dumb.... ya know.... first turbo ;p

What is a wastegate? I think I understand the function, to bleed off extra boost. I am trying to figure out if I have one :)

Can I adjust my boost (up) if my turbo is non wastgated?

I have the complete Hypermax kit (no IC) including exhaust. My guage barely moves now at 3 pounds. I want to do 5 or 6.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
hypermax is a non wastegated turbo - to get more boost you will need more volume in the exhaust side - turn up the fuel via the triangle cover on the passengers side of the injection pump and your boost numbers will follow.

paintedreams

Reaction score
Well I have a question how har can the pump screw be turned up. Will the screw stop after turning so far. Reason I ask is because I cannot turn mine any further. It doesn't smoke real bad when you are under a pull.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
JR,

First things first. Do you know if the IP has been turned up?

Second, have you had your rig on a good pull or are the boost numbers you get from driving in normal flat ground traffic? A non-waste gate turbo is slow to make boost and it takes a little while to get to maximum boost.

Jim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The turning it up screw is a 5/32 allen wrench I think but its very hard to turn up. That means its under pressure and the threads are very tight so it does not loosen up on you while driving. It can only be seen with a mirror when the injection pump is on the motor. What you need to do is remove the "home plate" looking cover on the passenger side of the pump. Slide a mirror down and use a flashlite to see into the pump. You will see the allen screw or not. If not and the crank is at #1 t.d.c. then turn the crank 1 turn and watch for it to come into view. You must have a pyro gage before you turn it up. Otherwise you will not know how hot your getting the exhaust gas. Now that can melt the pistons. We have an artical here on the easy proper way of turning up the pump. Just search for it or someone may post it for you. No dumb questions are asked here. We all had the same questions to ask before you. Now dumb mistakes are another thing. Some of us have made a few of those too....

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also reducing exhaust restriction will improve the speed that the turbo spools up.

Back when I was a "Powerstroker" I went with a Walker BTM (Big Truck Muffler) which is a straight through, low restriction design.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Roboto,

The OP said he had the complete kit "including" the exhaust so one would think there should not be a problem with the exhaust.

Jim

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My exhaust is good 4in from the down pipe back with some kind of muffler???, I think I will add a K&N this week, I read an article awhile back about adjusting the ip for more fuel and it gave more power with out affecting milage too badly. I might do that.

On my setup there is a metal flex pipe (not the oil line) that goes from the turbo center housing and it goes down to??? I cant see where it goes cause my turbo is in the way. Anybody know what that is?

I guess I have a pulse system cause my setup looks exactly like the pic I got off the HMax website, is that good? I want more POWER!!! What else can I do?

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
On my setup there is a metal flex pipe (not the oil line) that goes from the turbo center housing and it goes down to??? I cant see where it goes cause my turbo is in the way. Anybody know what that is?

I guess I have a pulse system cause my setup looks exactly like the pic I got off the HMax website, is that good? I want more POWER!!! What else can I do?

That flex pipe is the oil return from turbo to engine. It goes into valley pan where CDR used to be connected.

You can always add an IC.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
JR,

Before you spend money for a K-N filter be aware that there have many discussions about them here and on other boards. The concensus is they do nothing to improve performance and they do a poor job of catching small particles. A good major brand will do a much better job of protecting your engine and the performance will be the same.

If your pump has not been turned up and you have a pyrometer after you find where the allen wrench fits inside the pump turn it what would be the equivelant of 2 1/2 flats on the wrench in a tightening direction. It will turn hard. That is basicly the horsepower screw. Keep the EGT below 1250 and all will be well.

Jim

Last edited:

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will give the K&N some more research... The reason I thought of it was I took that grey thing off from around my air cleaner and turned it so a fresh spot was facing where the air comes in and I noticed a difference in seat of pants and egt. Just curious, what is better about pulse/conventional turbos?

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
JR,

If that question is for me and my Hypermax conventional turbo it is a case of Hypermax does not make a "Pulse" turbo kit for a "E" series. From looking at the pictures on the Hypermax site the difference seems to be that on the pulse system they bring the right and left exhaust pipe all the way to the turbo housing and on mine the two pipes tee together below the turbo and one pipe goes to the housing. Their marketing says that makes for quicker spool-up to counter the claims of the waste gated turbos being quicker off the line than the non-wastegate installations.

For my needs a non-wastegated turbo system makes more sense as I am pulling a 15,000 lb load all the time and am not in a rush to leave a stop light.
The down side of the wastegated turbo system is in order to get the quick acceleration many want they put a smaller turbo on that will spool up quick with less exhaust gas. The down side of that is as the engine gets to pulling hard there is too much exhaust gas and the turbo will overspeed unless they dump some of it past the turbo. That wastegated exhaust gas is wasted energy that you could be using if the turbo was sized for all the exhaust gas the engine was capable of making. A wastegated turbo is quicker but a non-wastegated system will make more power.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online