Adding the Banks

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well brown delivered yesterday a non wastegated air stuffer for the truck formerly known as Goldilocks. :hail
Thanks Calvin. ;Sweet

Need some advise as I do not have an installation manual.

Question 1: Fuel return crossover line on the rear of the motor. Relocate it to the front?

Question 2: Relocated oil line t-bracket placement for sending unit location.
I think it goes where the ground wire is placed for the GPC on the back left corner of the intake but think the stock sending unit may be into the firewall by time the cab is set back on. I also currently have a t plumbed onto the stock riser tube for the mechanical oil pressure gauge. Running out of room already me thinks. :mad:
My added t had to be removed due to the turbo exhaust downpipe manifold location.

Question 3: GPC relay location?

I have located a place locally that carries the replacement gaskets so that was a big relief to avoid Banks pricing. ;Sweet

I am sure there will be more questions as time goes on as yesterday was cleaning and familiarization day.
Tonight I wrench. :Sly Exhaust here I come. :backoff

For time being it looks like I will be sticking with the big box setup and will be able to play later with the other goodies. gotta get her back in paint first as the cab and box are outside under wraps in the weather and rust spots are begining to reappear thru the primer. :puke:

pafixitman

Reaction score
DDC,
Banks relocates the GP controller to the rocker arm cover (driver side, me thinks). They also route the fuel return across the front.

All of that said, when I installed my ATS, I did not relocate anything. Got some heat sheild from jegs, covered everything and was too dumb to know any better. Have not had any issues.

liddledoggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my glow plug controler mounts on passenger side rocker arm cover. i can drop off my sidewinder owners manual. joe

gandalf

Reaction score
This is the older unit with the big square airbox? I think you can download an installation manual from Banks. Failing that, I have one in pdf format I'd be happy to send you. Let me know.

I have a couple pictures in the gallery below, and I think some more which aren't, showing a partial disassembly.

Good luck with this project.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey dog diddler....
turn on your phone.
there should be a bracket in that whole mess for remounting the GPC. should be rectangular in shape with a tab coming off the lengthwise side with two holes drilled on the end of the tab. you mount the CPG on the rectangle part and bolt the tab to your intake manifold holes. look at the pic...
the metal part left of the cdr adaptor and above the dipstick tube is the item in question.

Attachments

• gen1e.jpg
    gen1e.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Ron first pic is the front driverside return line. Crosses over the front. Second pic pass. vavle cover gp relay mount,3rd pic oil sender on driverside. I have an air box gasket if you want it, just pay for shipping. Hope these help. Russ

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 8

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. ;Sweet
Things are coming into shape pretty good except for the exhaust.
The BFH ain't working too well. Me now knows a different up pipe is gonna have to be acquired now after talking with a few of y'all last night.
I gave up on it finally at 11:00 and decided that the gremlin won that battle.
Calvin yep things were goin' too easy. :eek:
So now that leaves me with deciding on what to do. Exhaust shop or Banks. :confused:
Truck is currently a chassis with drivetrain. No cab or box on yet, but to drag it to an exhaust shop would mean having to use the flatbed that currently houses the cab and bed. -cuss No help as they all left me yesterday to go camping for the weekend as I got stuck on call for the county. -cuss

Joe(liddledoggie) is gonna slide over tonight and check up on my work and am looking forward to it. :thumbsup:
Maybe a fresh set of eyes might help abit. ;Sweet ;Sweet

For those of you that HAVE installed your turbos :hail :hail :hail
This has been a PITA even with the cab off not having the cab on makes it hard to guess where things need to go. :puke:
But the exhaust has been the biggest battle so far.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, Sorry for not following this more closely, but what do you mean that the exhaust is the big problem? Didn't get a downpipe or something? I'm trying to visualize how hard this could be with no body in the way. cookoo :D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Agnem said:
Ron, Sorry for not following this more closely, but what do you mean that the exhaust is the big problem? Didn't get a downpipe or something? I'm trying to visualize how hard this could be with no body in the way. cookoo :D
:moon: :D
Mel,
I got the DP for the E40D. Calvin and I both thought that since that trans should be the largest, it should work. Didn't happen and am not gonna pay for a whole new Banks up-pipe assembly at this point as the costs are begining to take a toll. :puke:

I went to the garage that services the county fleet is gonna do the work for me.
The shop owner even offered to come out with his new Frieghtliner flatbed and load the ole gal up and run her into the shop to get the up-pipe re-plumbed. ;Sweet
He said that one of his guys there is a pro at working exhaust and is gonna do it after work the first of next week when the shop is down for the night. :hail
We figgered it would be best to use the top portion of the existing up-pipe and replumb the bottom half as would be the easiest rout since the pipe is still solid.....Dang Cali trucks. :rolleyes:
Ya it should be easy and prolly is with an owners manual but with the wealth of knowledge here, it is making it easier by the day. :hail :hail

Which goes to say, Those that have put a turbo on after install......You guys have my utmost appreciation of patience. ;Sweet

Next issue, as cost is growing due to the small extras is the nice new 3" exhaust pipe and muffler running out the back.
Is it gonna be a problem to tie into that system with the 3 1/2" down pipe or am I gonna be too restrictive and should opt for the 4" exhaust? Keep in mind I might be on the verge of living in this truck when momma gets back from vacation! :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.