Adding switches...where??? Here??

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am hating and loving the bricknose dash....as always.

The biggest issue for me besides aftermarket guage locations...which we have a trhead for :hail;Sweet is optional switch locations.

Today I sweet spotted 2 locations. Both capable of tw switches but I chose 1 for now.

I hqve enough parts I can chqnge it to two but the switch guards only allow 1 to fit but 2 can fit.

Also I will be adding at least two smaller toggles to the lower left section of dash beside the fuel tank select switch.

This irritates me there isnt a decent location or panel we can add....hmmm...oh crap wheels turning

K enough already
You must be registered for see images attach

Now back side...

And....

More to come but this is what I am starting with....for now.

Thanks for looking

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, great idea. Never checked for clearance there.
Since I used the gas check engine light for glow plugs on the dually, I have the power sw for the GV in that panel where diesel info would go.
On 4x4 I put a switch beside tank selector for primer pump.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking hard about this.

I think it's from like an f-650. Saw one with custom switches installed all the way across and it was really slick. Forget who it was but it was on here. Available for about $95 new.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking hard about this.

I think it's from like an f-650. Saw one with custom switches installed all the way across and it was really slick. Forget who it was but it was on here. Available for about $95 new.

Seen those..but I am still of the mind that I may make a front to back panel similar sized in the truck.

Then I can bolt radios up there to a nice wood base screwd to the roof cross braces. Suppose be easy nuff to drop front for some guage holes too:dunno Just got sooo damn much gear to install and no places...stipid stick shift in way

See another reason for an auto...More STUFF room.

Here one of 5 instrument clusters floating about here..

Keep the ideas and pics flowing guys. I WILL REPORT BACK ON CLEARANCE tomorrow

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, great idea. Never checked for clearance there.
Since I used the gas check engine light for glow plugs on the dually, I have the power sw for the GV in that panel where diesel info would go.
On 4x4 I put a switch beside tank selector for primer pump.

If you do not use covers 2 toggles one above the other fit...

I did notice my au5o shifter may cause me some knuckle rubbing this eve....something tk consider...

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
the little (3/8") pushbotton switches fit perfectly between the bottom of that panel and the top of the trim panel underneath on both sides of the steering wheel, you can fit 3 on the left and 2 on the right without interfering with the air ducts ;Sweet

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I got my first old ford it was a custom with a single fuel tank and was a gasser, so I had room where the tank selector and wait to start pieces were located on the diesel to mount 2 switches per location on my F150. Fog light override (comes on with low's, but switch to run them whenever I want), / off road light switches on one and then on the other bed lights that trigger on cargo light and led's along bed rails, and my favorite a "**** you" tailgate switch which turns on the reverse lights, aux reverse lights under bumper, and 6 other lights facing backwards along the bed closest to the cab and the cargo lights.

But yeah then when I got the 250 and had the duel gas tanks I was down to just one nice spot to mount a switch for my 4 off road lights on the brush gaurd on it. I did end up screwing a toggle switch into the plastic by the transfer case lever that turns on the six lights in the bed cap and powers the relay for the power invertor on the 250 and it's not terrible down there but wasn't the most ideal location either.

Then I got the diesel and like you are currently running into there's like nothing practical to add too that doesn't involve another physical add on somewhere. Have seen a few guys mount those little 3 switch holding horizontal toggle holders above the radio and hvac control area but there aren't many options.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al, I cant remember if your truck has buckets or not, but I am planning on utilizing the console area for things like brake control and radio. Maybe an inverter. If all goes to plan and I run the newer seats I have, they don't have the little arm rest, so I'm going to raise up the console on a riser to make the arm rest and then use that space under it for electrical stuff. Probably a small inverter and rear 12V charging ports. It will also give me a place to potentially mount my trailer brake control and maybe my little 40 channel. The thing I hated about my 88 was the only place to mount anything was up under the dash and you can't reach it. Mic cord was too short for my radio and you couldn't get to the brake control quickly if you were belted in.

The other thing that will happen eventually is there will be a "data center" installed above the heater control with display for gauges and backup camera. I'm trying not to get too caught up in that right now because that can be done after it runs and drives. That's the first priority. I nice custom console there would be handy for some switches and whatnot. For the short term, I'll probably make a pod that goes across the top of the dash for essentials until I can get to the auxiliaries.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Used micro switches in Bruiser. They all activate relays so no load draw threw them.

Lights

Fan Controls

The A pillar switches look clean, but there's a mess of wiring stiffed in there so I could actually pull the panel when needed and be able to disconnect/reconnect the switches. The Enterprise has the wooden overhead console that will get used for switches (panels where small CB and whatever else went in). A PO had installed a switch for aux lights on the WTS/WIF panel, but almost directly under the starting column.

tnthielen

Reaction score
Here are a couple of quick pics that I had on my phone of my current build:

Custom Switch Panel

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll175/tnthielen72/IMG_1140_zpsimc3skko.jpg

Old Stereo Location, now a Gauge Panel

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll175/tnthielen72/IMG_1141_zps1xqha0cy.jpg

I had the original faux-wood trim, but I painted it a flat black and then a matte clear over it to help prevent scratches. I installed a nav unit and built a fiberglass cowl for it to sit on in the center of the dash, it rises no higher than my instrument cowl. The truck is in the shop getting a 4WD conversion done and the Moose Mover 7.0 installed. I should have it back by the 29th so I will finish the final installation details and post a bunch in a post-build thread.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a nav unit and built a fiberglass cowl for it to sit on in the center of the dash, it rises no higher than my instrument cowl. The truck is in the shop getting a 4WD conversion done and the Moose Mover 7.0 installed. I should have it back by the 29th so I will finish the final installation details and post a bunch in a post-build thread.

Please do. I would love to know more about the NAV install. Sorry for the thread jacking Al.

tnthielen

Reaction score
Better Pics this time!

Custom Switch Panel

I had the original faux-wood trim, but I painted it a flat black and then a matte clear over it to help prevent scratches. I installed a nav unit and built a fiberglass cowl for it to sit on in the center of the dash, it rises no higher than my instrument cowl. The truck is in the shop getting a 4WD conversion done and the Moose Mover 7.0 installed. I should have it back by the 29th so I will finish the final installation details and post a bunch in a post-build thread.

-Todd

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Custom Switch Panel

-Todd
What material did you use to make that switch panel? It looks really nice.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online