Added another truck

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well I finally got my next project delivered today and added what is now the seventh truck in the fleet.:eek:

Meet Mater

You must be registered for see images

A project it will be. Gonna yank that 460 out and drop an oilburner in its' place. I had plans on trying to modify the C-6 that was behind it but I found out tonight that it has a 3000 rpm stall in it.:puke:
That's not gonna work.:mad:
So it looks like ole red is gonna bite the dust and be a parts donor truck.
T-19 and transfer case for Mater and the frame and bed will be converted into a trailer.
Just haven't figgered the right name for it yet.
Mater tail, Goldie Tail or Beef tail. Ehh a winter project that will be.;Sweet

The good thing is I'll now have a plow truck as it came with a Western plow with a whole trailer load of parts including 2 regular cabs (complete interiors 1 with power winders and locks), and a complete F-150 running gear. Front and rear axles, small block auto trans and transfer case and of course the paint and materials to get it completly repainted.

Oh and a 6.9L with only 30,000 miles complete with all of the accessories and bellhousing and clutch goodies. -Drool

Yup he's rusty, but the 85 cab that I got with the package is already sanded down and is already prepped for primer and paint.:thumbsup:
Just gotta patch 2 areas on the bed.

What would one pay for all this junk as Karen politely put it?

1-1988 V-8 Ranger with a 351 Windsor stuffed in the engine compartment complimented with a 4 speed top loader. -Drool

Ya I'm really gonna miss that truck, but with all of the parts that I have acquired, I'll have enough to work 3 trucks over and another project toy down the road.;Really

I'm thinking stacks on this one.:love:

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
That oughta keep you busy! The truck kinda looks like a Mater you need to bust part of the grill out like it's missin a tooth.

That thing ought to make a good plow truck with the torquey 6.9

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I've hauled home worse.:thumbsup: After seeing Goldie and Big Ed. you MI boys do a fine job at restoring these old trucks. Looks like a fun project;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good catch Ron. Now, if you could just get one of those US Body Source fiberglass front clips for it, you could forget about all that rust up front. I've seen your cab welding skills, and you da man! ;Sweet

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Agnem said:
Good catch Ron. Now, if you could just get one of those US Body Source fiberglass front clips for it, you could forget about all that rust up front. I've seen your cab welding skills, and you da man! ;Sweet

-Drool Mmmmmm I like but the price alone is WAAAAAAY more than I'm gonna put into Mater.

Err I mean what Karen is gonna let me spend. Heck so far the deal has gotten me a completly new set of tierod ends for Goldie and after tonights venture, new plugs wires and a solenoid for Mater even though that 460 is gonna be short lived. I'm gonna keep that gasser in ther just long enough to make a few passes around the vineyard to see what that trans will do.:D

Darrin Tosh said:
The truck kinda looks like a Mater you need to bust part of the grill out like it's missin a tooth.
Got sumptin better. hehe. They'll see.cookoo

Well on a side note, the fleet dropped back to 6 tonight as the Pride of my youth left on a trailer tonight. I had to pay up for Mater. Yup, the V-8 Ranger known as White Cloud has left the yard.:cry: :cry:

Man was that truck alot of fun. I'm gonna miss it.:confused:

Oh well my moment of silence has been had. Thanks Darrin.;Sweet

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
Off topic. That red truck behind it is a Ford. I want to say 48-50 BUT I can not see the grill. The "thing" between the snout holes on the hood make me think is the next grill style though.

Just wondering,

Calvin

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well an update on Mater.
I changed in a new set of spark plugs :puke: to get it running again. Dang gassers like to foul them things out. Almost fergot what sparkplugs were.LOL

Filled the radiator up with some water and let the sprinkler begin. Looks like the water pump and a few of the freeze plugs have seen their better days. Oh well, just needed to get it up to the barn to start the canibalization process.;Really

Added 2 quarts of trans fluid and man that 3000 stall went away. Acts kinda stock to me.cookoo

Oh well, looks like I'll be a guinea pig at a 460 / 6.9 C-6 conversion.
At least, I'll end up taking the T-19 and T case out of ole Red and stuff it in if I can't make the C-6 conversion work.
I've got a month to get it going and am planning on this being a budget truck.
Shooting for 500 clams to get it on the road.cookoo

We'll see since I have just about everything I need at this point to do the conversion. Thanks to those who have made it possible.:hail
I owe ya lots!!!!

The front clip is just about completly off as of tonight and believe it or not, all of the bolts have come off without any type of coercion or heat.
Smashed fingers and a few explicitaves was the extent of the rant.
Given how rusty it is, I'm thinking the front clip has been apart before except for the cab bolts and bushings. Those are gonna get some heat and a fresh set of Energy Suspensions.;Sweet

I'll keep y'all updated on the next edition of "Mater the cancer survivor".;Sweet

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
You are not alone. I got the 460 to 6.9 swap going on right now. Looking at the 80'd trucks I bet your setup is going to be creepy close to a bolt in. For sure keep us posted. TAKE PICS! We love those. I am very interested in what you do about electrical and how you work the 6.9 into the 460 system.

Calvin

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, is that gasser an EFI? If so, it should already have a fuel return to the tank, which will speed things along for you. Put power to the factory fuel pump to pump out all the gas for you before you get too far along.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Agnem said:
Ron, is that gasser an EFI? If so, it should already have a fuel return to the tank, which will speed things along for you. Put power to the factory fuel pump to pump out all the gas for you before you get too far along.

Yup feeding and Edelbrock 750 cfm carb inot a '72 ambulance motor.:eek:

They actually crimped the return line hooping to slow down the fuel flow from the EFI tank pump.:rotflmao
460 CUI and emissions crap. Now that is an oxymoron if I'd ever heard.cookoo
Already got an extra set of lines that came with the truck since the current setup is jerry-rigged beyond all gitout.-cuss
I'll be lifting the bed off to get a good peek as to what may be inside them tanks.
Plus that will give me a chance to get the bed up to do some crossmember and inner fender R/R.:puke:

Well the front clip is all off as of tonight. The core support just lifted off the frame rails as it was completly shot.:eek:

I did find a bonus tonight. Mater is sporting not only an external B&M tranny cooler, it also has an aftermarket oil cooler. BONUS!:love:

Man I love these old junk truck finds.:thumbsup: