Adapting IDI Tach

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I didn't start the engine yet, everything is hocked up but the downpipe, driveshaft and a few light son the front. Yesterday I finished the Banks IC installation I figure a couple weeks and it should be running. Too bad I didn't read this before I would be easier to install it on the flywheel and less messy. Oh well I'll post an update when I test it.

Thank You.

FordCummins

Reaction score
I've seen this tach solution before and I believe it reads a little low if memory is correct. The tooth count on the cummins IP pump gear is a few less then the IP pump gear on the Ford so reads a little low.

Good luck on your conversion....Sounds like your almost there.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Here is an update, I have no way to know for sure yet but the IDI tach adapted on the cummins seems to read well but off by 150 to 200 lower.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
`well If i can give some thoughts... the sensor reads a tone off the gear, such as a ABS ring. the diameter of the gear has to play an effect in it. what is the rotation speed of the IDI IP gear vs the gear on the cummins??? wider gear pitch and larger gear spining faster can produce the same tone as smaller gear closer together. Has anyone thought about a calibraton to the tach itself??? Any chance you have a O-scope to hook up to both

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cummins built and Ford-built engine-transmission adapter plates usually have a built in spot for the tach sender that reads the flywheel teeth.

That's how Ford does it in the F series trucks with 5.9's.

Personally, I like the idea of using the timing cover, but the issue I foresee is the weakening of the cover with that large hole. I've seen many Cummins timing covers detroyed by air compressors and vacuum/PS pumps not properly mounted. If you do that make sure you brace up the rear of whatever you power off the timing cover.