AC question?

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys been a while since iv been on here.
My ac compressor blew a seal about 3 yrs ago and leaked out all the oil.
Im ready to get the ac fixed but i have the age old question of do i really have to replace all the damn components to the system? Can i just swap out the compressor and have it recharged? I mean all it did was blow a seal. I dont know much about working on ac systems but im at a point now with this truck that im trying to keep the cost below what the truck is worth.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most compressor people will not warranty the new compressor unless you show proof that you changed the accumulator and orifice valve. It's good practice.

What gas were you running before? r134a?

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean all it did was blow a seal.

A penguin took his car to the mechanic to fix something or other and the mechanic said it would take a little while to get to it so the penguin decided he'd go across the street to get an ice cream cone. When the penguin came back the mechanic said "Looks like you blew a seal." Penguin said ""no way that's just a little ice cream."

If the seal had a rapid failure and there's no chance there's any residual pressure in the system then yes you need to replace the bad compressor, the accumulator/dryer, the orifice tube, and flush the remaining system of the moisture logged oil and other possible contaminants. And once you know it's sealed up again, I'd vacuum it down over night to boil out all residual traces of moisture in the system. If the system just has a pretty good leak but still holds a little pressure then sometimes you can get away with just a quick component swap and a good vacuum session but not very often.

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The accumulator is vital to compressor life. It is a filter. Think of it as reusing your old oil filter on your new engine.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Not gonna lie, it took me a second to catch it LOL

To the OP, consider this:

1. The compressor is by far the single most expensive part in the A/C system even if you buy a rebuilt one.
2. Don't buy a rebuilt compressor.
3. Replacing the rest of the system is cheap insurance to keep your new compressor healthy. Really, the rest of the parts aren't that much if you source from a place like Rockauto.

After learning a few lessons about AC systems the hard way, I can say they only way I'd consider reusing the original system is if I came across a "good used" compressor for cheap. I actually ran my setup for meany years on newer style compressor with the old V-belt welded to it. It looked like crap but it worked.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason for replacing the whole system would be if the compressor blew up or locked up which would mean there was shrapnel in the system. If all you did was pop a seal then system replacement is not needed. I would put an accumulator and orifice tube on it just because. Be sure to vacuum the system before charging.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have redone my A/C 3 times before I finally bought a new Motorcraft compressor last year.

Also having cleaned everything in the old system out each time and seeing how much time/trouble that was to be thorough, I replaced everything along with the compressor this last time.

I always replaced the filter/drier and orifice tube every time. But those cheaper compressors just didn't last.

The compressor installed in 2018 was leaking at the joint where the 2 halves of the body join in less than a year.

They're idea of a warranty claim was that I buy a new compressor from them and send my old one back. If they agreed it was a failure of their equipment they would refund my money. I said nope, not giving you another penny, I'll just order a new Motorcraft. Not unhappy at all.

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the non compressor parts of the a/c system specific to diesel?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know that the A/C lines, at least on the Bull nose trucks, were for more than one application. They had a sticker on them that said 5.8/6.9.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aside from the compressor lines I don't believe they are.

Another note, in 94' when they went to R134 the filter drier assembly changed and they added a high pressure switch. The compressor lines for those trucks are different from the 93' and earlier trucks.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But.... that's likely more to do with the r134a changeover.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes it is. But the reason they won't fit a 93 or earlier truck is because the drier is different. Just trying to share the info in the event someone is buying parts so they don't end up with incompatible stuff. You could add the drier as well and then it would fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online