AC compressor rebuild?

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Also, do a search on the heater core bypass. If the heater door seals are leaking any air (which most of them do) Your AC will be trying to cool some 195 degree heated air.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using a hydrocarbon refrigerant in mine, but I did still readjust the compressor cycling switch after having to replace it. The other problem with my truck is the low revs that it turns unless I'm getting on it. At 70 MPH I'm only at 1600 RPM if I'm cruising in OD. Around town its even less unless I'm climbing a hill or accelerating. There are also two transmission coolers installed in front of the AC cooler.

The more I think about it, the more I think the variable orifice is the best anwer to my problems. Most engines will run an average of 2000 RPM or more and chances are thats how ford engineered the AC system to work with the powertrain.

Even as it is, I can use the vents to solidify a melted candy bar that was left inside the truck in hot weather.;Sweet (still wrapped of course)

Seen the heater core bypass mod and I will try that eventually. On the norm setting the AC blows nice and cool usually, but on max there are times that if actually feels warmer I wonder if the bypass mod would work for that. Might even just bypass the heater core under the hood to see if it works. Probably has to wait for next year though, fall is in the air already up here:puke:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I
The more I think about it, the more I think the variable orifice is the best anwer to my problems. Most engines will run an average of 2000 RPM or more and chances are thats how ford engineered the AC system to work with the powertrain.

Seen the heater core bypass mod and I will try that eventually. On the norm setting the AC blows nice and cool usually, but on max there are times that if actually feels warmer I wonder if the bypass mod would work for that. Might even just bypass the heater core under the hood to see if it works. Probably has to wait for next year though, fall is in the air already up here:puke:

Yes the heater core bypass is a great mod, and very easy to do. If you move fast, you won't loose much coolant popping that thing in.

you hit the nail on the head with the RPMs, that compressor is the same one used on gassers and non scientifically, I'm going to guess there's only about a 1.5 to 1 ratio between the crank pulley and the AC pulley so the RPMs ate still turning pretty slow most of the time.

at least where you are, AC isn't really a big issue. I know when I lived in Vancouver ( the other one ) I never really needed it except a few days a year.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My compressor locked up, smelled something awfull when it failed. I popped the hood and the cluch was smoking bad, I cant even turn the compressor if I grap the shaft with something.

I will definately be finding one of those orifice tubes.

thanks,

-Rob