AC compressor rebuild?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AC comprssor on my truck locked up a while back, a new one is something like $350. Is there any way to rebuild the one I have? It is the newer kind, not a york or tecumse. I know I will need a new dryer since there could be metal bits from the locked compressor. It is a 134A system. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Rob

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's my thought too. Probably cheaper and faster to go that route.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you look in the right places, you can get new compressors cheaper than what the local stores get for rebuilt ones. I never pay more than about $185-225 for new compressors. I wouldn't fool with a used or rebuilt, they generally don't last very long.
I generally get my new compressors from www.nostalgicairparts.com, of he doesn't have a specific one, he'll give you a number of another place he's connected with that will for the best price on the thing.

You will need to flush the system thoroughly before mounting the new compressor or you'll be replacing another one in 6 months to a year.
Also new orifice tube ( variable orifice valve is a nice performance improvement ) and a bunch of orings. Use r12 mineral oil or Nylog on the orings, do not use PAG or Ester oil on the orings, it will dry them out and you WILL get leaks. Seperate all of the parts and run AC flush through them and then blow out with shop air, remove the condensor and lay it flat to flush or you won't get all of the debris out.
You will need to run the vacuum pump for an extended period of time after flushing and blowing out. Shop air, even with extra air driers , is pretty wet stuff, a standard vacuum pump will need to run overnight to boil off the moisture.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's locked there probably is not much you can do. Get a good junkyard one and bolt it on.

If you can find your style at a junkyard and the a/c system is still sealed up and has any pressure in it you will probably get a decent piece.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input and links, at this point I'll probably keep driving with the windows down but before next summer I need to get it done. My sister ruined our old 93 crown vic so I pulled the AC compressor before we had it hauled, it was very simular the the mounting holes placed it too far forward. I'll probably break down and buy a new one, I'm sick of "rebuilt" parts failing after a year, not worth it when AC is such a big job.

Thanks again,

-Rob

Headerpower

Reaction score
I found a made in china unit on e-bay about 6 months ago that was new, with a reciever/ dryer and oil for 185 bucks, outfit in Texas. Napa wanted $450 + for a rebuilt (Canadian) duh. No problem with the new unit. Why do we keep f-en ourselves with the price of goods???

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I found a made in china unit on e-bay about 6 months ago that was new, with a reciever/ dryer and oil for 185 bucks, outfit in Texas. Napa wanted $450 + for a rebuilt (Canadian) duh. No problem with the new unit. Why do we keep f-en ourselves with the price of goods???

Almost all of the new compressors , including the factory ones , are made in Asia anyway, and have been for years. Might as well get the best retail deal. I've used bunches of the things in about the last 5 years and never had a failure.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Kevin, Didn't know you were herer too.

What sort of improvement is a variable orifice good for? Does it run cooler at lower RPMs or something?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the whole compressor failed or is it just the compressor clutch? You might could get out a little cheaper if it was just that.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What sort of improvement is a variable orifice good for? Does it run cooler at lower RPMs or something?

Yup. It's common to see duct temps 12 deg f lower with one of those things in. I pop them in whenever I have a system open. They make a huge difference.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. It's common to see duct temps 12 deg f lower with one of those things in. I pop them in whenever I have a system open. They make a huge difference.

Cool (no pun intended). Might put one of those in for next summer. Mine will run very cold even when its hot out, but its not consistent. At idle in traffic it tends to warm up a bit from the underhood temperatures. Right now the coldest I recorded was 32F at the vent on norm, would be nice to be able to see that more consistently.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd about kill for that here in FL David! It really gets hot here usually 88-92*F with high humidity I had my system converted overr to R134A in 04 which might have been a big mistake. It might also be some electric problems with getting juice to the compressor.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Cool (no pun intended). Might put one of those in for next summer. Mine will run very cold even when its hot out, but its not consistent. At idle in traffic it tends to warm up a bit from the underhood temperatures. Right now the coldest I recorded was 32F at the vent on norm, would be nice to be able to see that more consistently.

Pop one of those Variable orifice valves in there and add an electric pusher fan in front of your condenser and you'll get rid of that heating up in traffic problem.
Also helps to adjust the pressure switch at the accumulator down for the r134 to cut out around 20 psi, and insulate the entire evaporator / blower housing with some of that double foil, foam core insulation.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'd about kill for that here in FL David! It really gets hot here usually 88-92*F with high humidity I had my system converted overr to R134A in 04 which might have been a big mistake. It might also be some electric problems with getting juice to the compressor.

Do the same treatment as the above post for yours and you'll be nice and chilly, only difference, get the VOV that is listed for 105 deg+ you will need it for your climate. That's the one I install here as well. There is no reason that you cant get duct temps with r134a that are as cold or colder than what the thing got with r12 if you follow that recipe ;Sweet

I've been puting so many of those things in that the other day I was working on a car that came with factory r134 and no VOV and I was driving myself nuts trying to get the duct temps down and couldn't , till I realized the next day that I had got it as cold as the factory system would allow .