A little Timing advice

Lost_Gasser

Reaction score
Okay, so after 4 weeks worth of waiting for parts, struggling with a bad back, re-ordering parts (don't ask) and stringing together foul language that would make an over-the-road trucker blush -cuss - I've got money pit put back together.

History: bought this thing with a horrendous back-fire through the intake. I mean it was bad - from idle all the way through the power curve. I pulled the heads and found an intake valve that was so badly burnt and battered that it only had about an 1/4 of an inch of seating area left on it. (I'll post a pic or two if anyone's got a morbid curiosity..)

So I put fresh (low miles - about 60K on them since rebuild) heads on the block and she started up like a champ. (1000 times better than when I brought it home - amazing what new plugs and a controller will do) After meticulous leak checking, radiator flushing and sca/coolant adding - I decided to take it on the madien voyage. (Runs great to this point!)

As soon as I put it under load I started to get some faint popping. :eek: Of course it increases as I get on the throttle. I'm kind of leaning towards a timing issue, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.. I've got it exactly where it was when I removed it - but theres about 10 marks on the IP and gear housing.

I don't have the equipment to time her - and I'll probably end up taking it to a shop and getting fleeced. I'm just hoping someone can say "Yeah moron, the truck needs to be timed - that's where the popping is coming from.." Oddly enough that would make me feel A LOT better...

As usual, thanks for everything - I couldn't have gotten this far without you guys..

-Josh

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The marks can make it run but You still need to have it dynamically timed. Since You allow it, I'm tempted to call You moron but I think I'll pass :angel:.

Now, You need to look for good shop to perform this DT if You don't have the tool or know anyone with one near by. There is a thread a few days old that explains on detail what You need to ask to the mech in case You come to need them for the DT.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Seriously now, with my limited experience in timing the truck would probably run decent if it were retarded a good bit, i cant say if it were advanced a lot what would happen as my experience was that the my trucks timing was 5 degrees retarded and im talking about the 7.3. One thing you could try is putting the pump on the center most mark .........that will get you static timed which for my truck is 5 degrees retarded. When we timed it we had the meter hooked up and rotated the pump while the truck was running. You could try that. Just loosen the bolts to the pump and get a big set of pliers or pipe wrench and turn the pump till it raps a little.....that should be close. Of course these methods wont get you right on but they would be my only advice outside of getting a timing meter or taking it somewhere to be timed.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could be as optimistic. Sounds to me more like an injector issue. You could retard the timing a bit to see if that helps, but since your putting it under load, and dumping a lot more fuel in, it's possible that this is what is causing your issue. What disturbes me is that you call it a pop instead of a miss.