a few, hopefully last, random questons about this old truck

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm working on the last few details on my 1990 F250 xlt Lariat 4x4 diesel 7.3

OK I'm replacing the steering gear box and pitman arm

I got this box from this site

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:1123#ht_8368wt_962

and an FEQ pitman are part number E7TZ-3590B which says it fits all makes and models F250 made in 1990

question is when I install these items and go to hook up the linkage things don't fit unless I readjust the tie rod ends by a mile. I was really careful to not bump the wheels while things were disconnected thinking that if I did everything just right I should end up with about the same alignment I had to begin with, which was pretty bad but thats beside the point.

can anyone look up these parts and tell me if they are compatible even if they are for that year truck ? If not and you are aware of what pitman arm might be compatible ( this one doesn't seem to slip very far onto the spline ) then please send order information my way, I'd be super grateful as I'm striking out finding one specifically for this truck. Although I have yet to contact the Ford Stealer ( just seems wrong to buy ford parts :rotflmao )

It would be most appreciated

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Also is there a 24 volt take off anywhere on this electrical system ?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Where do can I order a new snap connector for my alternator, its the two prong one going into the stator. There is also a single ground nut connector but that ones fine, I just need the female two prong coming out of the stator housing

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Interior stuff
anyone know of a good place to order some new seats and stuff, I've in for a penny might as well do it up and be in for a pound.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

suspension
my front suspension is about a quarter inch off the rubber block stops, can't be right
how much travel should that front leaf have before it gets onto that block ?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks guys
Dan

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
LMC truck has a lot of interior parts for these trucks, and obviously a junkyard.

sounds like the front springs are saggin quite a bit. although they have a negative arch to them to begin with, and they dont have much up travel.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
appreciate the tip

the steering linkage issue is the must solve issue at the moment

the others are just annoying

basically I'f I"ve got to reset the entire linkage system I'd at least like to know that I'm not completely screwing something up

So the question primarily remains, do those two after market components which are advertised as fitting that model make and year require a major readjustment of the linkage and if so is that readjustment within specs

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would try it with your old pitman first, nothing should have to be changed much.

tknomaj

Reaction score
find the center of the steering box. Turn all the way to the right and then at stopping point put your hand on steering wheel at 12 o clock and then turn allthe way back full lock to the left counting the turns. then turn back to the right 1/2 of total turns to the left and then check your how your pitman arm aligns up with the linkage. Have received boxes that were not centered properly from rebuilder before this will help you find out.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finding center is the least of my difficulties, getting the old pitman arm off is however a near impossibility without demolishing it completely. I can't find a puller that fits and all the tapping and torquing in the world doesn't seem to make much of a dent in it. A side by side comparison shows the new one to be about 3/16 shorter than the original. Although I'm not sure the old one is original equipment and ford can't tell me what the original numbers should be on that old box and arm. Once I connect the new pitman arm and the new gear box tho there ends up about a one inch difference where the original landed and were the new one lands, makes me wonder if there isn't something very wrong going on here.

to bad about the 24v, would have made things way to easy tho.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any fake#ss auto parts store will have the alternater connecter plug or any starter alternater repair shop will have them.