A/C

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I fushed everything ( removed the condensor ) and installed the a new compressor ,orifice tube and drier .

I am almost ready to vacuum down the system but I am having touble with the quick connect on the at the orifice tube fitting . I guess I may fay messed up the plastic loking ring when I removed it . It doesn't want to stay . Will the metal retaining clip hold it well enough not ot leak or do I need to look for a new plastic ring ( where ? ) - Thanks again

Last edited:

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway I found and a new ring . The system was vacuumed at 29 in for 2 hours and 2 cans of r134a were added and it worked (low side 50 high side about 220 ) with output tem about 38 deg f. . However I later added part of third can make the specified 32 oz and the compressor started cycling rapidly . The low side readings would start at about 60psi then go down to around 20 psi compress shutoff , high side readings were 60-125 ) . I removed some of the R134 and still havet he problem . My next step unless someone here can give me a better idea is to remove the R134a and check for orifice and condenser restricitions again or and vacuum the system overnight make sure vacuum holds then try another recharge . Any suggestions ? - Thanks

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Anyway I found and a new ring . The system was vacuumed at 29 in for 2 hours and 2 cans of r134a were added and it worked (low side 50 high side about 220 ) with output tem about 38 deg f. . However I later added part of third can make the specified 32 oz and the compressor started cycling rapidly . The low side readings would start at about 60psi then go down to around 20 psi compress shutoff , high side readings were 60-125 ) . I removed some of the R134 and still havet he problem . My next step unless someone here can give me a better idea is to remove the R134a and check for orifice and condenser restricitions again or and vacuum the system overnight make sure vacuum holds then try another recharge . Any suggestions ? - Thanks

What was the outside temp when you added the third can and it startied the cycling bit? If it was fairly cool out, this can be normal on some.
When cycling was it at idle, fast idle, or were you holding the rpms up a bit?
What was the temp outside when you were getting the higher readings on 2 cans?
Was the AC set on max, fan on high?

did you use a stock orfice tube or a VOV?

Did you make sure to purge the air out of the fill line?

Dang, I'm full of questions :dunno :D

---------Robert

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RLDSL- Thanks for all of the reponses and I am ther grateful for your help . Please ask me as many questions as you can to help me ( and potentially others) .

BTW- I just straight wired the the compressor for a few minutes and cgood cold air . I didn't have the gauges connected but I need to check everything again .

What was the outside temp when you added the third can and it startied the cycling bit? If it was fairly cool out, this can be normal on some.

- About 70 deg F

When cycling was it at idle, fast idle, or were you holding the rpms up a bit? It seemed to be about the same at idle or at 1500 rpm .

What was the temp outside when you were getting the higher readings on 2 cans? About 80 deg F

Was the AC set on max, fan on high? - yes both
Did you use a stock orfice tube or a VOV? Std orifice tube - red same as original

Did you make sure to purge the air out of the fill line? - I am not postive on that one .

Dang, I'm full of questions :dunno :D

---------Robert

Last edited:

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
RLDSL- Thanks for all of the reponses and I am ther grateful for your help . Please ask me as many questions as you can to help me ( and potentially others) .

BTW- I just straight wired the the compressor for a few minutes and cgood cold air . I didn't have the gauges connected but I need to check everything again .

These are some of the things i will need to know when ever i can get mine back together?:thumbsup:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

At around 65-70 deg outside it can be tricky to get decent reading because it will get cold fast and cycle , plus the pressures will get lower, you will get a better idea when it's hotter out, but those numbrs don't sound too far off. you cant pay much attention to the 60 on the low side at the beginning of compressor cycling, when the compressor is off, it will readclose to static system pressure, you want to get a reading where it is holding fairly steady, but if you are getting a decent duct temp with the three cans, you should be about right.
As far as purging the air, when you attach a can of refrigerant, there will be air in the line, it's best to purge that out till the refrigerant just gets to the end of the hose so you don't get any air in, if you do it will give a slightly high , high side reading, but if cooling isn't affected, nothing to worry about. a bit too much oil in the system can give some funky readings too.

Wait till it's good and hot out and hook your gauges up again. with the engine off, record the pressure reading on the gauges ( should be the same on both ) and the outside temp., then fire it up, turn it on max let it run about 5 -10 minutes till it levels off and record the pressure readings, and pop your thermometer in the duct and record the duct temp. Let me know what you get.

Also, if you didn't already, while you're sitting around bored waiting, take a pick tool and clean the little rocks out of your condensor and straighten out the fins.

Al of this is probably pretty rudundant at this point if you're getting good cold air out the ducts now, but it may still need a bit more . I've noticed some of the single cans of refrigerant don't always have the full 12 oz that they are supposed to have in them
-----Robert

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RLDSL- Nothing on this subject is too reduntant for me :confused: . What are good typical low and high side pressures on an 80 degree day ( 800 rpm, 1200 rpm) ? - Thanks

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
RLDSL- Nonething on this subject is too reduntant for me :confused: . What are good typical low and high side pressures on an 80 degree day ( 800 rpm, 1200 rpm) ? - Thanks

At 80 deg f low 40-50psi, high 175-210 psi
at 75 deg, low 35-45psi, high 150-170 psi
at 85 deg low 45-55 psi, high 225-250 psi
at 90 deg low 45-55 psi, high 250-270 psi

Doesn't have to be exact if it feels good.By looking at the acceptable range, you can get a pretty good idea of what to look for.

-------Robert

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RSDL -Thanks for the information on the pressures. This great information .

On the pressure switches locate at the located at the acummulator and compressor hose manifold -

1. acummulator / drier - the low pressure cutoff? what pressure ?

2 compressor hose manifold - high pressure cutoff ? what pressure ?

I will check and post those things you requested 2 posts back before I touch anything .

Thanks

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
RSDL -Thanks for the information on the pressures. This great information .

On the pressure switches locate at the located at the acummulator and compressor hose manifold -

1. acummulator / direr - the low pressure cutoff? what pressure ?

2 compressor hose manifold - high pressure cutoff ? what pressure ?

I will check and post those things you requested 2 posts back before I touch anything .

Thanks

The low pressure switch should cutout somewhere around 15-20 psi, not sure about the high pressure switch, but it would probably be up around 360+ somewhere.

----Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger