A/C removal

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I decided to remove the non functioning a/c from my truck. Compressor was shot, condenser was flapping in the wind like a flag do to broken mounts, on and on... I'm not worried about A/C, I work nights and it's usually not that hot out when I leave, so I don't want to spend thousands fixing all the problems with it.

Question is do I need to put an idler pulley where the compressor was? Ive heard that there needs to be even tension on both sides of the w/p, but I don't see why, any truth to that?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, I completely replaced my system for about $550 worth of new parts. No labor cost since I did all the work myself.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/rebuilding-ac-system-on-1986-f250.80741/

As for an idler pulley, do you have the serpentine belt setup? Guessing not, since those are usually only 1992 up.

If you have V-belts you can remove the AC compressor without any worries. I've seen some non-AC IDIs that had a double belt between the water pump and power steering but I doubt its needed.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, I completely replaced my system for about $550 worth of new parts. No labor cost since I did all the work myself.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/rebuilding-ac-system-on-1986-f250.80741/

As for an idler pulley, do you have the serpentine belt setup? Guessing not, since those are usually only 1992 up.

If you have V-belts you can remove the AC compressor without any worries. I've seen some non-AC IDIs that had a double belt between the water pump and power steering but I doubt its needed.

Yeah v belt. Probably overstated what the cost to fix is, but everything I've done lately has been twice what it should be..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle