A/C Question.

Codyp86

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has heard of these trucks coming from the factory with just a heater. I have a 93 F350 and I am trying to find some info on this. I live in Texas so A/C is a must have. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about OBS trucks, but I have a bullnose with the "cold weather package". No A/C, high output heater and an engine side firewall cover...Gets used like an ATV for 8 months a year!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know they had a heater only option in 1989. In fact if you can find one, this is the slick option to get if you have a earlier truck with A/C and want to delete it and get rid of that large housing sticking out in the engine compartment on the pass side.

The earlier trucks, at least to 86, had a completely different firewall setup for A/C versus no A/C. A/C had the heater core in the cab behind the glovebox, non-A/C had the heater core in a housing under the hood. It is very difficult to change a earlier truck from non-A/C to factory A/C. This is why they came out with the dealer installed A/C kits, you really can't use factory stuff to add A/C unless you cut a extra hole in the firewall and change some other stuff around.

Sometime later (1987?) they put the heater core behind the glovebox on all the trucks. One with no factory A/C would have a slim duct to transfer the air from the heater core to the center of the dash, this is the piece that is nice to retro fit onto a older truck that you want to delete the A/C on.

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 92 that came without a/c. I took the a/c from the 94 that im scrapping. Evap box, hoses compresser, comdenser, wire harness under passenger side, controls in dash. All plugged in and fit perfectly.

Codyp86

Reaction score
I have a 92 that came without a/c. I took the a/c from the 94 that im scrapping. Evap box, hoses compresser, comdenser, wire harness under passenger side, controls in dash. All plugged in and fit perfectly.
Thanks for the parts list. The weird thing about mine is that it has a compressor but no other parts for a/c.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way I could see that happening is a complete scrapyard engine swap. Do you have a pic under hood?

And yes it was a factory option to not have it. Another way to know is if your in dash controls have the words norm a/c and MAX a/c on the left two most options for the damper controls

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your ac setup have the serpentine belt or V-groove belt?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Being that it's from a 1994, it should have the serpentine set up. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that 1992 was the first year for the serpentine belt. I don't know if it was a mid year break with both types available or not. I'm thing not and serpentine was all you got with a 1992 along with the OBS body style.

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they were offered without AC, but having lived in Santa Fe (SFHS '90-'91) I sure wouldn't want to go far without it!
There used to be a company out of Ft Worth that offered AC retrofit kits using proprietary parts, but they went under several years ago. I'd find a parts truck and strip it.
The only IDI pickup I've seen that came without AC was an '86 or so (been a LONG time) F-250 4X4 that was very low miles and still wearing Oregon plates. The owner had relocated to Houston to be closer to his family, and put the truck up for sale almost immediately!

Eli

Codyp86

Reaction score
Thanks Eli. My buddy has an old later 90s model that I think he is getting rid of. I’m going to talk to him and see what if he wants to get rid of anything.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that it's from a 1994, it should have the serpentine set up. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that 1992 was the first year for the serpentine belt. I don't know if it was a mid year break with both types available or not. I'm thing not and serpentine was all you got with a 1992 along with the OBS body style.
I have an incomplete, on vin sticker, F350 flatbed with a 10/91 sticker that is still v-belt but when I order some parts, they are listed as 92 but some (AC parts) are 91. Being manufactured late 91 I believe it was sold as 92. That's what year is on my title.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have an incomplete, on vin sticker, F350 flatbed with a 10/91 sticker that is still v-belt but when I order some parts, they are listed as 92 but some (AC parts) are 91. Being manufactured late 91 I believe it was sold as 92. That's what year is on my title.
Those incomplete vehicles are different. They are titled as whatever year they are finished in, but could have left the plant a year or two earlier. My example is that the guy who owned the shop I was working in when I was working on these engines. He bought a small bus from somewhere in Texas. It was a "1995", but had a 7.3IDi engine. One of the owner's sons flew down to get it and drive it back. He called and told his dad that something was wrong with the transmission since it wouldn't shift into overdrive. As soon as it got back to our shop,I had to crawl underneath it to see if I could figure out why overdrive didn't work. It didn't take me long to come back our and tell the shop manager that overdrive would never work because it had a C6 transmission. I wonder when, exactly it left the plant. I'll probably never know that. As far as I know, the C6 was last available in trucks in about 1991. In an incomplete vehicle, who knows?

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, you could order a c6 all the way up until the modular motors came out in 97', even in a pickup. Couple years ago I was looking at buying a 96 f250 with a 351 in it, got in, saw that the gear indicator was different that usual, and sure enough, right there on the door tag, it indicated that it had left the factory with a c6 as a special order

*Sorry to sidetrack, just thought it was interesting

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely takes research to know your vehicle. I am buying an aircraft logbook to keep logs and info on this truck. An aircraft without logs has very low value of course but with; it keeps its value. Wish land vehicles would increase in value with logs. But may be worth more to buyer if sold privately with logs.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, 92 was a split year for belts. Looks like 2/92. We had a 6/92 build and it was serpentine.

There was also a split in tensioners......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online