a/c question

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it maybe a 1/2# low right now, but it has never has cooled well.

I have been wanting to go with a mini van unit that fits on the side in the back and put in behind the rear seat. Maybe if i can get a condenser that has the capacity, then that could be step two.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
it maybe a 1/2# low right now, but it has never has cooled well.

I have been wanting to go with a mini van unit that fits on the side in the back and put in behind the rear seat. Maybe if i can get a condenser that has the capacity, then that could be step two.

That would probably do the trick. You could duct it up the rear pillar and across the top and get a real nice circulation . it's easy to do with these

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On these two-evaporater set-ups, you still have only one compressor and one condensor, right ??

Only one drier/accumulator ??

If only one compressor, how does it supply two evaporaters ??

Thanks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each orifice valve does its work and both work just fine. I did a swap in a ramcharger years ago and just teed into the lines before the compressor for suction and after the condenser for high side.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
On these two-evaporater set-ups, you still have only one compressor and one condensor, right ??

Only one drier/accumulator ??

If only one compressor, how does it supply two evaporaters ??

Thanks.

Each leg would need it's own accumulator or you'd be flooding the compressor suction line with liquid ( bad ) in theory you could t back in before the acumulator, but in traffic, that would be straing the design of the thing, it would be safer to just spend a few more bucks and ad another accumulator and then T back into the suction line closer to the compressor. you just T off the condenser off to the two evaporator units

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I had the repair shop where my truck is call me and ask me if I wanted to get my a/c fixed while some other things were getting fixed. He gave me an estimate of 1100 clams. I called Darin and asked his advice hubby was at work. Darin ageed with me 1100 clams was a bit much for getting it fixed. Here in SW Texas you need an A/C but different route I meed to address. We discussed salvage yards, parts from part stores any good suggestions?
I really appreciate Darin's help with the a/c price question. I do not have access to vaccum pump or gauges for me to do work. gsgIDI

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
BigRigTech
I just communicated with the repair shop. They said bearings shot in compressor whatever that means. I believe it has been converted to 134A instead of 12. They talked about flushing the system, new compressor, drier what else recharging the system with freon. Any help would be appreciated. My truck 1990 F-350 7.3L N/A CC Long Bed e4od w/4.10 SRW. gsgIDI

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the wife's truck A/C was totally shot when we first got it.

We took it to some guys that I know and trust and the total bill was some over $2000 when it was all said and done.

Her truck is a 91 Dodge/Cummins with factory air.

Just a short list of what all we found wrong = compressor shot, condensor leaking like a sieve, fan-clutch shot, two hoses un-usable (one had been spliced with a plain old hose-barb and hose-clamps), that hose is not available anywhere PERIOD and had to be made, hence the hose-barb; the end-fittings were designed such that they had to be sent off to a special facility that was equipped to re-mill the ends and add barbs at great expense, all of this before the local guy could crimp on the hose; many little expensive odds and ends were also replaced.

These guys let me gather my own pieces and charged a very reasonable labor fee for the amount of time they spent on it, so there was no price-gouging going on.

I just relate all of this because fixing A/C is not always an inexpensive project.;Really

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was fried too when I bough the truck. Got it to work eventually with a new compressor and orifice tube. Used compressed air to blow solvent through every part that I salvaged and then charged it with duracool (hydrocarbon refrigerant HC-12).

I used an infra read thermometer to measure temps as low as 31F at the vents with the AC on "norm". I'm satisfied.

Had to replace the compressor cycling switch though. It got to the point last year where all the cold lines under the hood were covered in a layer of ice:rotflmao

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks all for responding to my question about the A/C. I have another place that I am going to try and use. My local tire shop is equipped to fix A/C, they fixed my F-150 new compressor and drier just over 600 clams. I just thought 1100 clams a little high for that matter. Question should I use a rebuilt compressor comments vs a new one horror stories using a rebuilt compressor? gsgIDI

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks all for responding to my question about the A/C. I have another place that I am going to try and use. My local tire shop is equipped to fix A/C, they fixed my F-150 new compressor and drier just over 600 clams. I just thought 1100 clams a little high for that matter. Question should I use a rebuilt compressor comments vs a new one horror stories using a rebuilt compressor? gsgIDI

Don't use a repainted* oops, I mean rebuilt compresor. They just don't last much longer than used ones, and you can buy brand new ones for the same or less.

The 600 job is not going to include taking everything apart and flushing it and you WILL be doing this again in 6 months to a year. There is a reason they havec to charge so much, the condenser has to come out to flush it clear, flushing the evaporator is an endurance match between your arm with the blow gun , everything has to come apart and be thoroughly cleaned.

I have a friend with a 99 expedition who had gone through 2 compressors in the last 2 years both with the cheapie replacements, and a real shop told him $1700 to replace that one ( it has rear air, lots extra to flush ) I told him if he turned the wrenches and did the flushing , I'd get him through it. day and a half later ( and some stupid special size O rings that you Can't buy from ford without replacing the entire hose assembly later ) he understands why they get so much.

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Thank everyone for the imput on rebuilt vs new a/c compressor. I found a new one on E-bay auction new compressor, a/c flush new o-rings, drier for around 300.00 repair shop out of Kansas. Repair shop possible have ordered too many of one particular brand need to get rid of them. Thanks again. gsgIDI

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hi,
Thank everyone for the imput on rebuilt vs new a/c compressor. I found a new one on E-bay auction new compressor, a/c flush new o-rings, drier for around 300.00 repair shop out of Kansas. Repair shop possible have ordered too many of one particular brand need to get rid of them. Thanks again. gsgIDI

Good deal. Price sounds about right for import compressors. Most of the new compressors are made in Asia anyway. I've been using these things for quite a few years now, never a problem and never heard of anyone having a problem with one. Make sure to take that condenser out to flush it. When you see how long it takes to blow the flush out of the evaporator, you'll understand why.

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks all for the replies, will let you know how everything works out with the A/C when done. I'll pickup truck at repair shop this week. Unfortunately I'll take it to another shop to get the A/C fixed. I'll let you know how everything works out. Still cheaper than new truck payments. Happy motoring all. gsgIDI