A C Mistake Made Today

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Most of you don't know this so I thought I would share. You can drop in other R12 replacements besides 134a. I have been using R409a for years. It acts just like 12, pressures are about the same. Charge liquid only due to being a blend. You must have an EPA license to buy it will be the draw back to the public, but if you have one give it a shot. Down side number two, 30# canisters only, no small cans. I always have it around, so no big deal for me being in the commercial refrigeration business. ANyway, just thought I would share that with you. If you are close to me, I am in Hollister Ca, I can give you a shot of it at my cost if you need. You come to me though if you need it. I can't buy you a jug though it is against the law for me to do so.
How about oil compatibility? I have about 20 Lbs of that stufff left over from a job. I never thought to put it in an R12 system.
Ken

DragRag

Reaction score
Works perfectly with the oil already in there. 409A was designed as a drop in with no modifications. Use it, you will love it, I promise. I weighed in the factory amount into my 92' about a month ago, and we are having tripple digit here, and it is ice cold. I have used it in a few of my other trucks, many of friends cars.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of you don't know this so I thought I would share. You can drop in other R12 replacements besides 134a. I have been using R409a for years. It acts just like 12, pressures are about the same. Charge liquid only due to being a blend. You must have an EPA license to buy it will be the draw back to the public, but if you have one give it a shot. Down side number two, 30# canisters only, no small cans. I always have it around, so no big deal for me being in the commercial refrigeration business. ANyway, just thought I would share that with you. If you are close to me, I am in Hollister Ca, I can give you a shot of it at my cost if you need. You come to me though if you need it. I can't buy you a jug though it is against the law for me to do so.
you got my attention.
here's the question.....I have a system that was R12 that was switched over to R134 and I have no idea if it was a proper conversion or not. all I know is that ever since my IC install, the system doesn't cool nowhere near as well as if it was orig R12. I do have a couple of MBZ electric pusher fans that I am looking to install if it helps.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
you got my attention.
here's the question.....I have a system that was R12 that was switched over to R134 and I have no idea if it was a proper conversion or not. all I know is that ever since my IC install, the system doesn't cool nowhere near as well as if it was orig R12. I do have a couple of MBZ electric pusher fans that I am looking to install if it helps.

Got my attention too since I'm running a 134 converted system and am gonna go IC'ed real soon.:popcorn

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
which IC are you running?
the next IC I'm putting in will be having the AC condensor in front of the stac and the IC in the middle like how the powderchoke boys have it.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
which IC are you running?
the next IC I'm putting in will be having the AC condensor in front of the stac and the IC in the middle like how the powderchoke boys have it.

Gonna be from a 99 Snooper duty. Gotta get my paws on it as my buddy was taking it off and swapping in one from a 6.0L.

DragRag

Reaction score
towcat, if you don't have the factpry type oil in it anymore, it is not going to work. 134a in commercial apps uses polyolester oil. Not sure if that what they change to in automotive, but that is what it is in what I do. I know the r409a works great with the factory oil which should bascically just be mineral oil. Polyolester is very hygroscopic, and attracts water to, another good reason not to use it. One the system is open for a period of time moisute soaks in. I put a few drops in a bottle of polyolester that i have from a compressor that I changed, and it soaked into the oil, and made it foggy, it didn't go to the bottom. Basically you will need to know what oil you have. I would need to do some research to find out if 409 is compatible with polyolester, but a google check could tell you on that to. There are a couple of other refrigerants that work just fine to inregards to R12 replacment that are drop in, MP66 and Hot Shot are a couple. There are several on the market, and are all designed for ease of use in commercial no B.S. applications, we don't have time for call back so we use what really works. I use 409a because I have it, but the others will work fine to. I personally would never convert to 134a. Like I said before, if someone is close enough and wants to try it out, I will juice ya at my cost on the gas. I have a vacumm pump to pull it down, charging scale and gauges etc of course.

DragRag

Reaction score
I have done alot of oil changes on bolted semi hermetic compressors, but have never changed oil on an automotive system so I could not tell you. Check with the guys that did the conversion and ask them if they change the oil for starters, then go from there. I will look to see if 409 is doable with POE oil.

DragRag

Reaction score
Looks like the 409a is compatible with ester, so no matter you should be able to use 409a or other drop in R12 replacements. Dump the 134a if you need to and go with the industrial/commercial blends for better performance. I don't have an electric fan in my truck, and as long as the condensor is clean it will still cool good even at idle. Any A/C systme will work better on a car when it is moving though, so you will notice a slight rise in cooling temperature when parked and idling with the a/c on.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towcat, draining the oil is no problem. unhook the lines and blow shop air thru the condenser and evap, flush with flushing fluid. the compressor can be drained, put on a new dryer, suck it down and good to go. Oh put in the right kind of oil.

On edit, may not have to after what drag says,;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
unhook the lines and blow shop air thru the condenser and evap, flush with flushing fluid. the compressor can be drained, put on a new dryer, suck it down and good to go. Oh put in the right kind of oil.

Did that with Goldie and works good with 134a.;Sweet

Took a little bit of time to get everything all cleansed but it worked.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the 409a is compatible with ester, so no matter you should be able to use 409a or other drop in R12 replacements. Dump the 134a if you need to and go with the industrial/commercial blends for better performance. I don't have an electric fan in my truck, and as long as the condensor is clean it will still cool good even at idle. Any A/C systme will work better on a car when it is moving though, so you will notice a slight rise in cooling temperature when parked and idling with the a/c on.
looks like I need to schedule in some time with you to put in this new stuff into the truck.;Sweet

DragRag

Reaction score
Looks like you are close to me there in Santa Clara. After work sometime is fine thursday evenings are bad though. cell8319020544

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online