A/C gods needed

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having A/C problems, not cooling very cold and building high pressures. I have changed out the evaporator, orifice, and drier. I had a leak on the high pressure port and I broke the high pressure sensor, So the system had no freon, I fixed the above items and I pull vacuum on the system. The vacuum held for awhile, but my cheap Harbor freight low side quick connect was the cause of the leak.

Anyway, the system had no freon and I just pulled vacuum. I went to charge the system, I added 1/2 a can of r-134 as a liquid on the high side. I then closed the high port and started the truck to finish the 1st can. I started to add the second can, and noticed the compressor would not disengage. Then the high pressure would go past 400 and the high pressure switch would cycle the system off. So at this point I had 1 1/4 cans in the system. I have 2 electric fans mounted on the condenser and the clutch fans was moving good air. Ambient temp around 97, and equalized pressures around 120-125.

I release some coolant and got the pressures under control about 280 high and 45 low. The problem is the system seems clogged since it should take almost 3 cans. Do you think the condenser is clogged? or is the compressor the problem (turns smooth by hand)

Also what color orifice should I use, I ordered red and blue, or should I use the white?

FYI, my truck is the 1994 idi factory turbo with factory air

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it ever have a compressor failure? Was the old o- tube clean? I'm guessing a contaminated condenser.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the red tube and have had great results. It definitely sounds to me like something is clogged somewhere, so I would flush the system with a good size compressor. I use rubbing alcohol when I do it, I believe its 97% and do it until its coming out clean then a while longer for good measure since the stuff is so cheap. I'd replace your dryer as well since you opened the system, especially if its got any age on it. You're going to need to add oil again after this remember, I believe its 11 oz for a dry system.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use ac flush at work and non chlorinated brackcleaner at home. The brackcleaner seems to work well.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you feel the inlet and outlets on your condenser I'm sure that you will find that its not condensing. Since you have air flow through it from your fans it must be plugged internally.

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it ever have a compressor failure? Was the old o- tube clean? I'm guessing a contaminated condenser.

It has a non-ford compressor and no the 0-tube was pretty clean. Of course the previous owner could of changed the o-tube and left the contaminated condenser. I will try a new condenser, flush the newish evaporator, lines and compressor. Then add 7 oz of oil to the compressor reconnect, vacuum and recharge and see what i get. If no good the only thing left to change is the compressor.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its a serpentine condenser then you can flush it backwards to clean it out. The compressor is capable of 400+psi so I don't see a reason to replace it.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has a non-ford compressor and no the 0-tube was pretty clean. Of course the previous owner could of changed the o-tube and left the contaminated condenser. I will try a new condenser, flush the newish evaporator, lines and compressor. Then add 7 oz of oil to the compressor reconnect, vacuum and recharge and see what i get. If no good the only thing left to change is the compressor.
Consider a new dryer as well if youre going through all of that. I dont see anywhere where its been replaced. Mine cost $12 at Napa a few months ago, its good piece of mind.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2. Mine was about $30 though. I'm sure its overdue for one.
Consider a new dryer as well if youre going through all of that. I dont see anywhere where its been replaced. Mine cost $12 at Napa a few months ago, its good piece of mind.

FoMoCo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed the dryer, but will go ahead a install a new one. One question, when I measure and add the oil, should I add it to the compressor itself? In other words should I remove the compressor and then add the oil via the suction side after I remove the line?

FYI, mine is the one with the one piece line for the suction and pressure side.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see a need to change the dryer if its new. You can put the oil in any place. Infact putting too much in the compressor can hydrolock it. I usually put an oz or 2 in the compressor and the rest in the dryer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes