a/c condenser for trans cooler?

built4tq1

Reaction score
Anybody every used an a/c condenser for a trans cooler? I removed my a/c (dont need it were i live) And thought about maybe using it for a trans cooler. clean it out real good and throw some lines to it:dunno

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody every used an a/c condenser for a trans cooler? I removed my a/c (dont need it were i live) And thought about maybe using it for a trans cooler. clean it out real good and throw some lines to it:dunno
The a/c condenser can obviously handle the pressure, but I'm not sure whether or not it can handle the necessary volume. Would be worth checking before going through with it...hopefully someone who knows more about it will give a more definitive answer.

And, I have to say...your "location" says Las Vegas, and you don't need a/c?!? :shocked: ...I'm guessing either you moved to a cooler climate or you're Superman LOL ...OTOH I'm miserably hot if it's above 70 degrees...

built4tq1

Reaction score
The a/c condenser can obviously handle the pressure, but I'm not sure whether or not it can handle the necessary volume. Would be worth checking before going through with it...hopefully someone who knows more about it will give a more definitive answer.

And, I have to say...your "location" says Las Vegas, and you don't need a/c?!? :shocked: ...I'm guessing either you moved to a cooler climate or you're Superman LOL ...OTOH I'm miserably hot if it's above 70 degrees...

:sly yes i moved to utah and it stays cool enough all year round for me to ditch the a/c;Sweet However i agree if i still lived in vegas a/c would be a must:backoff

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
It would have too much restriction. When we flush condensers after compressor replacement, i usually have to push my rubber tipped blow gun hard onto the line while i squeeze otherwise itll just push the gun off the line. A huuuge tranny cooler is only like 60 bucks for a stacked plate and fin style. I added a large one to the F350 when i had problems with the c6 getting hot.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be carefull what you use for a tranny cooler. Volume is what you want, the return oil is used for lubrication and cooling. Low volume can cause premature bearing failure, then **** goes the rest.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever thought of useing a heater core for a cooler, they can handle the volume ?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever thought of useing a heater core for a cooler, they can handle the volume ?
I imagine one could handle the volume, but it seems to me that most heater cores would be too small to really make a difference.

You could always use a radiator out of a Honda Civic LOL

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's volume and cooling ability that is needed. When I was at the tranny shop all we used were stacked plate and fin coolers. I can even remember how many trucks came in with cobbled together coolers that either didn't cool enough or had plugged and wiped a transmission. Ford even had a TSB for a while to get rid of the factory trans cooler and use an extra large stacked plate and fin cooler.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cooling system parts wont handle the cooler line pressure which can be as high as 100 psi. And as said ac condensers are way too restrictive. Also a new 40 to 50 dollar cooler is way cheaper than a trans.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
size isn't so important with today's technology.
the little B&M supercooler that measures just 11x8 inches i think it is,keeps my trans really cool.
i need to drive for an hour before i see 150 degree temps.
thats still with the line going to the radiator.
like Russ says,right around 50 bucks,and because its small in size,its easy to place anywhere.
part #70268 if you want to look it up.best specs at B&M home site naturally.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And as said ac condensers are way too restrictive.
The diameter of the inlet and outlet pipes of the A/C condenser is at least 1/2", as compared to 5/16" transmission lines. Also, the condenser actually has two parallel paths through it, which also provides way more cross-section for the ATF to flow though than the cooling lines to and from the trans itself. Additionally, the fact that the lines and hoses are 5/16" does not mean you have a clear 5/16" ID opening for ATF to flow through all the way - in fact the barb fittings that are on the factory trans cooler in the radiator's bottom tank are only about 1/4" in inside diameter, so that's a bottleneck right there.

The way I have mine set up is 5/16" steel lines from the trans to the front of the engine, then I have 3/8" barb fittings on my rad cooler and also 3/8" fittings on both ends of the condenser, with 11/32" hoses all around. The cooling loop is much longer yes, but the cross-section for the ATF to flow though is there and overall the entire system bottlenecks only at the transmission ports (should have run 3/8" steel lines when I had the chance, just didn't think of it at the time). By the way you have to make your own fittings for the A/C condenser, as if you simply cut the liquid line's plastic off the barb fitting and hook the trans hose to it instead you end up with something stupid small as ID there and that will in all likelihood fry the trans due to lack of sufficient flow. I raided a junkyard truck for extra factory condenser fittings, then cut them apart and welded 3/8" barb fittings to them (ironically they are also factory Ford fittings, removed from random cars over the years).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online