96 Won't start. Sat for 2 years...

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. My 96 sat for 2 years in a barn and now won't start, obviously. The tank was empty so I put 10 gals of fresh fuel in. Threw 2 new batteries at it. Drained fuel in bowl and flushed jackets in head with new fuel. Checked all fuses and wiring for mice and all is good. Glow plug relay is working. She spins like a mother but doesn't even try to start, not even smoke. I'm thinking my hpop lost prime?? Any other ideas?? Ive spun it for about a minute combined so that should prime it right?? Is there a way to test if the injectors are firing? I replaced the injector wiring on one side before I parked it. Thanks for any help!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the hpop drained down itll take alot longer than a minute to get it primed again.on top of the HPOP reservoir there is an oil pressure sensor and a pipe plug.you can remove either of them and see if there is oil in there.if there isnt you can fill it with fresh oil.

could also be a cps as they do just die.

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I topped off the HPOP and replaced the valve cover gaskets because the plugs were burnt. Put it all back together and still nothing. She cranks but no smoke. I'm at a loss right now. Not really sure where to go from here..

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been reading about the IPR and how it won't fire with out it. Is there a way to test it? I hear about a plinger that you can wire tie??..is that the brass piece in the rear of is? Should that piece move? Because mine doesn't, maybe it is frozen up from sitting for so long?

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok fixed that problem. Kinda haha. Thanks 94f450sd for your help. It was a combination of low oil in the HPOP and my bully dog chip. We put my buddy's Snap-on Modis on it and it said that the ECM was bad. I unplugged the chip and topped off the HPOP and after 15 seconds of cranking she was purring like a kitten. The only problem is now, it takes 15 seconds every time I try to fire it up. The Modis was reading 0 psi when we started cranking and eventually worked it's way up to 900 when it finally started to start up. My question is, is there a check valve that keeps the prime for this pump or is this something the IPR keeps primed? If so, is this the most likely problem?

aaklingler

Reaction score
What does it do if you unplug the icp? Does the level drop every time? Is that even if you shut it off and fire it right back up?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im sure its fine by now but it takes a while to work the air out of the oil and fuel rails.take it for a beat ride.drive it like you stole it for about 30 miles..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight