'96 PSD aluminum front cover........

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I was changing out the oil cooler O rings today {thinking they were the cause of the leaking $9 gallon coolant :eek: } and when I lit it off I got this leak from the front cooler header to front eng cover -cuss :mad:

So there was the posibility that I muffed the gasket and drained the block and removed the bolts, slid out the gasket-----no nicks or anything, so I re-installed the gskt, filled and bled the system....no leaky cookoo ------till I lit it off--------------drip----drip----drip that is to the best I can see coming from the top/inside of the neck from the block cover and running down the boss the front header bolts to..........

Is this boss integral to the front cover or .......... :confused: ....:popcorn

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure what youre talkin about but hopefully these pictures will help.let me know if you need pictures of a certain area and ill have them tomorrow night as i have my old motor sitting on the ground with no oil cooler on it.

Attachments

• truck 330759.jpg
    truck 330759.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 12
  • truck 330760.jpg
    truck 330760.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 11

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
:thanks: for the pic Rich :cheers:

Sadly the hailine fracture IS -cuss on the cast aluminum
neck that the front oil cooler header bolts to.
Your pic does not have the water pump installed so it is easier to see.

That Koolaid red CAT coolant shows up real nice oozing from the flange area- just under the upper cooler header mounting bolt....about 1/2" long running down the middle.

Apparently the back of the thread bore broke away..... cookoo cookoo .......:frustrate :frustrate

Looks like the entire front of the eng needs to come off----w/p, HPOP,crank damper, front oil pan bolts etc......... DAMNIT MAN!:mad: :mad:

Now to find one..............:popcorn

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually the whole engine has to come out to replace the front cover.you need to remove the oil pan so that you can unbolt the oil pump pickup tube from the cover.ford/IH used a gray RTV for the oil pan gasket.this stuff is like cement.i broke 2 huge screwdrivers and one gasket scraper,and dented my oil pans trying to break the seal to get the pans off.in the second picture i posted above you can see the oil pump pickup tube.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh and the damper needs a puller to remove it.the normal harmonic balancer puller that you can rent/buy from advance and autozone wont fit it.you need a bigger puller for the PSD balancer.the timing cover gaskets are O-rings and are 100 bux from from ford,probably cheaper from IH or www.powerstrokeshop.com .

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
actually the whole engine has to come out to replace the front cover.you need to remove the oil pan so that you can unbolt the oil pump pickup tube from the cover.ford/IH used a gray RTV for the oil pan gasket.this stuff is like cement.i broke 2 huge screwdrivers and one gasket scraper,and dented my oil pans trying to break the seal to get the pans off.in the second picture i posted above you can see the oil pump pickup tube.

:eek: :eek: ................... -cuss -cuss ........:frustrate

Ain't that just VULCAN great :puke: I guess I can add that aggrevation to however much $$$$$ that cover is gonna cost ;Really

Anyone ever see them parted out...

...or do I just get bred at the stealership :rolleyes:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check ebay or ask around on www.superdutyduydiesel.com .id sell you mine but i made some modifications to the one on my new motor and dont know if its working properly or not yet and not sure what im doing with my old motor yet.if you can see the crack you can always take it down to a welding shop and see if they could weld it in the truck.dont quote me on it but i believe the cover was a little over 100 bux from ford.

yankin the motor isnt that difficult.and its the perfect time to replace the up pipe donuts,turbo pedistal O rings and gut the pedistal or buy a modded pedistal or modify yours to remove the EBPV actuator.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Well this cannot be welded in place.........or I'd already done it :D

If you picture the {scrawny :puke: } neck the front oil cooler header bolts to....the fracture is just below the upper bolt and faceing the rear....NO acess even with the oil cooler header removed -cuss -cuss

AND just who was the idjit ingunieer that thought up the mount for the front cooler header :backoff :backoff

I'd like to shove a GM 6.2 up his *** and START IT :Sly

The IDI design is FAR superior and easier serviced :hail

Whut mods can you make to the front cover :confused:

BTW....howdjknow my up pipes were leaking ;Really LOL :D :cheers:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HOLY S*&T!!!!!!then when i thought i needed one they gave me the price for something else. :eek: :eek:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George, this is a perfect opportunity...come back to the light side!! :D

I'm sure it's far easier to drop an IDI in place of a PSD than vice-versa :D

Seriously, sorry to hear of this...hopefully you don't uncover anything else!!

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
The Warden said:
George, this is a perfect opportunity...come back to the light side!!

I'm sure it's far easier to drop an IDI in place of a PSD than vice-versa

Seriously, sorry to hear of this...hopefully you don't uncover anything else!!

Tim, don't think for a moment THAT very thought hasn't filtered thru my grey matter :Sly ;Sweet :D

{inner voice speaking and I quote---------

-- '94 IDI turbo = big rods, oil cooler{that is MUCH easier to service} along with nozzles and GP's service, you can still have that ;Sweet ;Sweet turbo whistle :Sly .......all you have to change is the PSD badges :eek: ;p :D }

OH BOUY...decisions, decisions LOL ------:popcorn+:cheers:

Rich....the parts guy said he could smell smoke comming from the phone :eek: :draw

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
George, this is a perfect opportunity...come back to the light side!! :D

I'm sure it's far easier to drop an IDI in place of a PSD than vice-versa :D

:backoff

SWONK!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
geonc said:
Tim, don't think for a moment THAT very thought hasn't filtered thru my grey matter :Sly ;Sweet :D

{inner voice speaking and I quote---------

-- '94 IDI turbo = big rods, oil cooler{that is MUCH easier to service} along with nozzles and GP's service, you can still have that ;Sweet ;Sweet turbo whistle :Sly .......all you have to change is the PSD badges :eek: ;p :D }

OH BOUY...decisions, decisions LOL ------:popcorn+:cheers:

Then you'd just be a PSD poser...........

:backoff :backoff

DOUBLE SWONK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online