95 300 I6 surges

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
I'd be with Mastertech if it was a surge...
it was called one thing, but it was explained as a "dropout" or "cutout"
like the ignition being momentarily turned off...

I'm not sure I'd trust any EGR codes out of this particular system anyway... if I recall correctly, they ALL threw EGR codes, but not all of them had the cutout problem he's describing.

But I'm also guessing because none of us have driven it...

surge = lean = egr
cutout = electrical = primary ignition

dunno.

guys like me and Mastertech, who've been around the block a few times with these can usually tell the difference between a fuel problem and an ignition problem.

but when someone else is having the problem, especially as it is being explained on the internet, makes it difficult.

So, Aric, I'd have to say you've got a 50/50 shot it's either or both parts...

Suppose you could always pull the EGR valve and see how sticky the pintle is... generous shots of Blaster with working the valve open & closed can free up a sticky one for a few days to weeks...

a toolman might still have a TFI tester he's willing to get off of cheap... problem is, I've had them pass Hall Effect switches that were oozed down into the bottom of the bowl...

might wanna start with a "wiggle" test?

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
guys like me and Mastertech, who've been around the block a few times with these can usually tell the difference between a fuel problem and an ignition problem.

but when someone else is having the problem, especially as it is being explained on the internet, makes it difficult.

Very well put, Bear
Anything advice we offer up is just a guess since I can't get my paws on it...

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Mega-squirt is a stand alone computer system for the EFI set ups. dont know why u want OBD-2 but the mega squirt will let u do whatever ya want. what are ur plans?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
im gunna point ya over to fordsix forums, its like OB for inline 6s (mainly Fords). i could go on and on but u'd be better off asking there because i been out of the 300 loop for a while. when i built mine i wasa still in college, about 5 years ago.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am a member there. but i dont know as many people as i do here lol. thats just how great I love OB's lol. so is the mega squirt like a seperate computer in itself than the rest of the OBD monitoring system?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
yup, u build it urself from a kit they offer and use ur computer to tune it. i never messed with it so i have no experience. really, its not worth it for a little extra umph. gears or go internal.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok let me ask this, dont laugh if i sund stupid but where is the EGR valve on the 300 I6, my truck has the same problem as described above it kinda cuts out for a second there and picks up. my truck isnt throwing any codes what so ever (meaning check engine light is coming on) could it possibly be the ignition coil?? I was also thinking it needs a new fuel filter.... what about that maybe???

thanks in advance
--
Ken Klein

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worked on this cause it surges when maintaining a steady speed. I gave it a tune up with cap button plugs and wires but the surge is still there its not a miss it just acts like you turn it off and back on really fast. If you give it more gas or let off it will run fine idles fine and accelerates fine as well but when holding a steady speed it surges bad any ideas:confused:

explain what all you changed in your "tune-up" fuel filter is a very important part of a tune-up, reason being is volume verses pressure. you need both to make it run correctly. first thing to do to this truck is to remove the fuel filter and try to blow through it. if its hard to blow through or you cant blow through it then that is a problem, maybe not the problem but it is a problem. but the way your explaining it it does sound like a fuel filter.
think about it this way. your fuel injector opens up and closes at the same time every time. you need fuel pressure to get the correct spray pattern into the cylinder and you need the volume of fuel so you get the correct amount of fuel into the cylinder. usually when this "cuttingout" happens its due to lack of fuel volume.
when i explain this at work to customers i usually say the fuel filter acts like a water hose shut off valve. turn the water hose full blast (new fuel filter) and great pressure and volume when you pull the nossle. but turn your valve half on (fuel filter half clogged) and you get the first blast of water but the longer you hold it open the slower it gets (lack of fuel volume)

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did that for a while so I replaced the plugs and it fixed it turned out the plugs where already going out causing horrible
Milliage and slow acceleration along with that surging.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's such a common problem with these I-6 engines. My dads 89 does the same thing, but since it's still running he doesn't want me to touch it since it isn't running. But I've dealt with similar problems on other EFI systems and it's a common issue with the IACs. But like the others said, it's easier to diagnose in person and no one wants to send someone off in the wrong direction spending money they don't necessarily need to. Anyone can just replace parts until they make a difference in how something runs.