95 300 I6 surges

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Worked on this cause it surges when maintaining a steady speed. I gave it a tune up with cap button plugs and wires but the surge is still there its not a miss it just acts like you turn it off and back on really fast. If you give it more gas or let off it will run fine idles fine and accelerates fine as well but when holding a steady speed it surges bad any ideas:confused:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Ah yeah done that before on my mustang autozone should be able to read the codes for me shouldn't they? Either way I'll get paid for doing it so I might as well take the easy route and probably longer LOL

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have seen a couple of things cause this, one is a crank position sensor, but I doubt that with a distributor, it has one - some did, but they are generally used on coil pack stuff. The other one I have seen, and only on Fords (so far) is the EGR valve position sensor. I have seen them cause something just like this. Codes should show either though.
Good luck!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
ahh ok I wasn't sure how much the codes would show on this old of a truck I'll see what comes up

That's ok, I am not sure if that old of a truck has either of the parts I mentioned either!!! :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

I am pretty certain it should have an EGR position sensor and we replaced tons of those when I was turning wrenches.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be a bad TPS(throttle postition sensor) or a IACV(Idle air control vavle) My 95 f150 5.8 did the same thing I replaced both(Cause I broke one removing it) and that fixed my problem, Talking about autozone, you can have both those parts checked there also. Hope this helps a little. -Brad-

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yep dual tanks but I don't think its fuel related either a sensor or could be a gasket I'll use some starting fluid and see if I find any

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
starting fluid? if you use it that way might as well call it fire fluid, carb choke cleaner will prob be a better way to check that

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
a '95 may be OBD 1 - that was the changeover year.

If you need to, you can short the STO & STI pins together and with the key on, count the CEL flashes to read the codes

most likely, it's got either a bad TFI module or a pickup coil/hall effect switch.

I know this to be true, I just rebuilt the distributor in my '88 4.9 about two weeks ago...

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Thanks guys haven't had time to look at it lately it runs so its not a priority but there are no vacuum leaks I shot everything with the starting fluid and no change in idle.
I been wondering about the module I've had to replace plenty of those for about the same reason