94 turbo idi parts

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
I'm wanting to build a sled pulling truck out of my 93 non turbo. a local junkyard has a 94 super duty with a turbo idi in it. I already snagged the wastegated turbo ($300 and no play in it) and everything to put it in, but I keep hearing the 94 has some better internals than the previous year idis. What else should i snag? would it be worth just taking the whole engine? im sure i can get the whole thing for another 300 or so. they said it had a knock when they got it. i know the connecting rods are supposed to be better, what else is 'upgraded' in a 94? if there's enough reason to upgrade ill just overhaul my engine and put these 'better' parts in. i have a low mile remand motor that i know runs so id rather use my block/heads than this other one. plus who knows what was causing the knock in theirs.

thanks

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The block is beefier, has a larger oil passage for the turbo, rods, wristpins etc. Heads have better valves.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
The turbo rods and the turbo valves is the usual upgrade for a 7.3 non turbo engine

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not so fast guys.... The turbo motor does not have larger oil passages in the block. It only have larger external oil ports where you can connect to the main oil supply. The non turbo blocks ports are 1/8 pipe and the turbo blocks are 1/4 pip plugs in the main oil galleys. The exhaust valves are made from inconel material and thats it for the heads... The oil cooler has a few more fins per inch on the bundle for cooling but those coolers are all we can buy these days. The rods have a bigger piston pin size at 33mm where the non turbo pistons has a 28mm pin size. Thats all the differances you have between these great engines. The turbo block serial numbers start at 1,116,331 and go up from there. No way can you just look at a turbo block and determine if the insides are truely turbo specs... Hope this clears up some notions about the turbo motors..... Any idi can have a turbo added to it but that does not make it a turbo motor....

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i was gonna say the blocks are the same but figured i wasnt going to argue with non one:DLOL

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
hmm well that wasnt what i wanted to hear. would it be worth buying a motor just for the valves / connecting rods / oil cooler? im mean, will having these make a noticable difference? id think the connecting rods would be helpful when i up the boost. i know i cant just buy the pistons / connecting rods. i guess if anything itd be worth it to have the extra parts

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
hmm well that wasnt what i wanted to hear. would it be worth buying a motor just for the valves / connecting rods / oil cooler? im mean, will having these make a noticable difference? id think the connecting rods would be helpful when i up the boost. i know i cant just buy the pistons / connecting rods. i guess if anything itd be worth it to have the extra parts

I think you should buy it for the pistons and connecting, make sure its a true turbo block first, that way you know your actually getting the better parts

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not completely true David... Even if you have a turbo block the internal parts could be non turbo parts.... Any rod will fit any idi block. The same rod in found in the 6.9 and 7.3 motors without a turbo. The same exact head is on the turbo blocks as the non turbo blocks. I don't think anyone here can tell you if the exhaust valve is inconel or not. Surely you could cut off a piece but thats going to ruin the valve... But you would know what that valve was.... All 7.3 non turbo pistons will fit a turbo block. Its just the rods that have to be changed if your using turbo pistons. Even the psd 7.3 pistons fit our blocks but the rods wont... Although they are the same pin size and the length is the same... Even the bottom end is the same diameter but... They are around 132 thousands too wide to fit the bearing journels.... One will fit but two wont.... Around 2 or so years ago Diesel Direct in Florida had two pallets of turbo rods at $42.00 each with no core.... They didn't want your rods... I bought a set and have a spare set that needs to be rebuilt... Someday.... Ford wants around $60.00 per rod with a $40.00 core.... Not gonna happen scooter....

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
so in theory i could use turbo connecting rods and psd pistons in my non turbo motor? or am i misreading? are psd pistons the same dimension? if theyre smaller maybe thatd be an effective way to lower compression to allow more boost

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not completely true David... Even if you have a turbo block the internal parts could be non turbo parts.... Any rod will fit any idi block. The same rod in found in the 6.9 and 7.3 motors without a turbo. The same exact head is on the turbo blocks as the non turbo blocks. I don't think anyone here can tell you if the exhaust valve is inconel or not. Surely you could cut off a piece but thats going to ruin the valve... But you would know what that valve was.... All 7.3 non turbo pistons will fit a turbo block. Its just the rods that have to be changed if your using turbo pistons. Even the psd 7.3 pistons fit our blocks but the rods wont... Although they are the same pin size and the length is the same... Even the bottom end is the same diameter but... They are around 132 thousands too wide to fit the bearing journels.... One will fit but two wont.... Around 2 or so years ago Diesel Direct in Florida had two pallets of turbo rods at $42.00 each with no core.... They didn't want your rods... I bought a set and have a spare set that needs to be rebuilt... Someday.... Ford wants around $60.00 per rod with a $40.00 core.... Not gonna happen scooter....

What would the PSD pistons do to our compression ratio though. Sounds like a good way to upgrade pistons.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
What would the PSD pistons do to our compression ratio though. Sounds like a good way to upgrade pistons.

Yea it would lower the compression, but the burn of the fuel wouldnt be favorable at all for an IDI engine, but perfect for a DI

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the true difference between IDI and PSD pistons? I'm guessing they wouldn't work. Bore size, pin diameter, and valve relief locations would have to be the same. Compression height (the distance between the centerline of the wrist pin and the top of the piston) would have to be similar; a littler lower would result in a lower compression ratio.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
'icanfixall' was just saying they have the same pin diameter as turbo idis, but their connecting rods wouldnt work. bore size is the same though i believe (4.11 inches).

would be cool if someone tried it out. may be a new way to hotrod an idi

dyoung, why would the burn be unfavorable?

sassyrel

Reaction score
Not so fast guys.... The turbo motor does not have larger oil passages in the block. It only have larger external oil ports where you can connect to the main oil supply. The non turbo blocks ports are 1/8 pipe and the turbo blocks are 1/4 pip plugs in the main oil galleys. The exhaust valves are made from inconel material and thats it for the heads... The oil cooler has a few more fins per inch on the bundle for cooling but those coolers are all we can buy these days. The rods have a bigger piston pin size at 33mm where the non turbo pistons has a 28mm pin size. Thats all the differances you have between these great engines. The turbo block serial numbers start at 1,116,331 and go up from there. No way can you just look at a turbo block and determine if the insides are truely turbo specs... Hope this clears up some notions about the turbo motors..... Any idi can have a turbo added to it but that does not make it a turbo motor....
sure its 28 m/m????

6.9power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hpermax makes upgrades internals for our motors that would be much better than anything the turbo engines had. Performance bearings, pistons, piston pins, and piston rings. I think that would be well worth the money.