94 turbo flywheel with PSD 13" clutch?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that the PSD clutch should be stronger/higher rated than an IDI clutch did escape me at first.

I'd say jump on the cerametallic and DIY machinework, since it sounds like money saved versus the $700 beefed up IDI clutch.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill be sure to report if it doesnt work or is messed up somehow though haha

centennial60

Reaction score
Greg, curious if you have any pictures of your redrilled flywheel. I'm looking to do this as well to run a 13" PSD clutch. Looking at pictures of the backside of the Luk flywheel it appears that the holes may come through between different levels of material. Anyone else that has experience with this feel free to chime in as well. Thanks.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not end up doign this as I ended up doign a cummins swap. However from my research this seems an easy/normal thing to do.
I did end up going wit the Luk ceramic/bronze clutch in the cummisn and NV> I really like it. Yes can be jumpy and hard when reversing at full lock with the detroit locker in the rear, but overall I am pleased with it. Very positive feeling when engaging.

centennial60

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Greg. I'm going to get the parts ordered and have my father redrill the flywheel. Seems like a good upgrade for not much more money.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want to point out that the LuK 12" SMF kit will do just fine for most people - Pretty sure it'll hold over 350 at the wheels based on Justin testing, and, well, that's far more than 99% of IDIs will ever make.
I know I've never had any issues with one pushing 250 RWHP through mine, and that's absolutely the limit of a stock turbo(banks, ats etc). Beyond that, you'd need a pretty heavily built IDI, ****** turbo and high-cc IP,

Heck, Ive even pushed 250 through a stock 11" DMF without too much trouble; though there's probably a big difference between letting out the clutch and /then/ hammering on it, vs revving it up and dumping the clutch.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also a south bend is already a 13in smf clutch upgrade. You may be able to buy just the flywheel and bolt up any psd clutch you want.

centennial60

Reaction score
Hey guys, digging up an older thread here again that I found last summer. Well we finally got around to this project. I started with a new LUK IDIT single mass flywheel and a new LUK 13" clutch set for a PSD. I had my dad redrill the flywheel to accept the PSD clutch, everything went smoothly and the fit turned out great. It's not in the truck yet but this will be replacing the stock 11" and failing dual mass flywheel. This is the only picture I have right now but I will try to get some more taken.
You must be registered for see images attach

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad someone did it!
Also if anyone is considering that LuK cera-metallic clutch, i LOVE mine.
I read a bunch of reviews people saying its undriveable, you cant back up with it, shakes my truck...these people must be driving with a noddle leg and takign 5 seconds to release the clutch.
As long as you dont try to slip the thing for years, its great. very positive engagement.
It IS a littel tricky doing a full lock reverse up hill with my locker. but again, dont be a sass about it, and it will work great.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@pontoonrob I know has it done on his truck as well. If memory serves me correct he had south bend drill him a 13'' psd cluch and then ship it out. I also know justin has done it a couple times. I may very well end up doing it when i kill my autozone clutch which has held up well.
Good info None the less @centennial60

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, digging up an older thread here again that I found last summer. Well we finally got around to this project. I started with a new LUK IDIT single mass flywheel and a new LUK 13" clutch set for a PSD. I had my dad redrill the flywheel to accept the PSD clutch, everything went smoothly and the fit turned out great. It's not in the truck yet but this will be replacing the stock 11" and failing dual mass flywheel. This is the only picture I have right now but I will try to get some more taken.
You must be registered for see images attach
Hey centennial60, how is the 13” working out?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online