94 started the factory turbo idi, correct?

Dieselrob

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just found the forum and have been trying to soak up as much info as possible. I am sorry if I missed this topic/or am posting in the wrong place.

I am in the market for a pickup in the next couple weeks, and I have my heart set on the 7.3 IDI. From what I gather end of 93/94 Navistar made the IDI's with factory turbo and "beefed up" the motor some?

The truck setup I am looking for is an F350, dually, long bed. I want simple, reliable. I have a '13 turbo diesel golf and a '12 diesel work truck and regen is a cruel mistress I don't want to deal with it anymore.

How does the Turbo IDI handle that truck configuration?

Thanks
Rob

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
You may find any year of idi with a turbo because the owner added a turbo, but yes 92 or 93 started the factory turbo option. They were availible with and without a turbo during those years so in those years you will find them without a turbo.

simple and reliable they are but if you are expecting the power of the newer trucks then be prepared to be very disapointed. I haven't rode in too many turbo trucks but the two that I have rode in had the pumps turned up and were comparable to a stock 1st gen cummins as far as pulling power goes.

What will you be doing with the truck?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Welcome.
Practically all IDI F350's you find will be long bed. Not all will be dually though.

I wouldn't say the "beefing up" is detrimental to having a reliable truck.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. As for the first turbo idi that came out in the 93 1/2 year and ran till the beginning of 94. It was a 6 month run for that "K" engine. Heres the problem. Its impossible to know for certain that the engine even with the "K" in the stamped block serial number will actually be a turbo engine. Only sure way to know is to open up the engine and actually see the pistons with the larger wrist pins. Even then its tuff to see. The non turbo pins are 28mm and the turbo pins are 33mm. Not a big difference. Now looking at the block is any of the main oil galley ports are 1/4 inch pipe size then that too is a turbo block. It may or may not have a turbo on it. Every idi engine looks the same on the outside plus.. They are drilled the same. So all the accessories will bolt on each engine from the 6.9 to the 7.3 idi turbo or not. Not trying to confuse you but knowing what your looking at will tell you what your getting. Block serial number.. The turbo block numbers started at 1,116,331 and went u from there. The 7.3 non turbo engine numbers started at 507,*** and some odd number. Sorry but I have forgotten it. Might have been 507,017..:dunno Anyway it was 507,XX and ran up to 1,116,330. These numbers are stamped on the top of the block just to the drivers side of the injection pump gear housing cover. There is a flat place and it will probably need to be cleaned off to see the numbers. Might even have some factory RTV covering the first numbers cause its that close to the housing. Now any turbo engine can be rebuilt as a non turbo engine. All you do is replace the pistons and rods with the non turbo size. The non turbo rods also fit the 6.9 engines as does the cam, crank and oil pump. Lots of parts cross over thru the complete idi family. Makes it easy to find parts. So I hope this helps you to understand what you might be looking at. Please do this. Find the block serial numbers and post them here. We might be able to tell you the year of an idi engine but for sure we can tell you what engine your looking at. As old as these trucks are its anyones guess what engine has been installed and called what. But this gives you some help identifying what your looking at.

Dieselrob

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome.

I should have clarified I want the factory turbo IDI, just wanted to see what year ranges I was looking at, I've found a couple -clean- non turbo F350 duallys, but I was hoping to snag a factory turbo one. So the search goes on.

You may find any year of idi with a turbo because the owner added a turbo, but yes 92 or 93 started the factory turbo option. They were availible with and without a turbo during those years so in those years you will find them without a turbo.

simple and reliable they are but if you are expecting the power of the newer trucks then be prepared to be very disapointed. I haven't rode in too many turbo trucks but the two that I have rode in had the pumps turned up and were comparable to a stock 1st gen cummins as far as pulling power goes.

What will you be doing with the truck?

Light towing, personal working truck, possible daily driver.

Welcome.
Practically all IDI F350's you find will be long bed. Not all will be dually though.

I wouldn't say the "beefing up" is detrimental to having a reliable truck.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Ah apologies, I wanted to know if the factory turbo'd 7.3 did in fact come with everything built up more so than the standard non turbo'd motor. Sorry I typed that on my phone and I probably worded it horribly :D

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not a problem in your wording. I get long winded explaining everything but when you read it you will know what your looking at. Just print this and take it with you when you look at any truck. It can help. Might take a notebook and write down what you see. Take pics with your cell phone so you can view them later too. Pictures have a way of showing you things you may have missed. Information is like power. The more information we have the more powerful we are.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
these will handle light towing just fine, but if you start loading them up good they will definately make everyone behind you hunt a passing lane on the highway. My grandpa told me when I got the truck that it wouldn't win any races but it will get you there most every time and if it does mess up it is normally a cheap and easy fix.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
One on the many great things about the idi engine is the ease of fixing it. We can replace an injector on the side of the road in a few minutes. No other diesel made today can do that. Most of the diesels that came out after the idi have the injectors under the valve covers. they have a brass sleeve that coolant flows around to cool them and usually is a good idea to replace when an injector is removed. So coolant and oil must be drained from the psd heads for any injectors work. Our engines have a simple mechanical injection system. Its job is simple. Increase the fuel pressure enough to pop open an injector. Not a costly fuel system either. Now we do have some members asking for help because they have fuel issues but usually they are a simple air leak fix.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
It sounds as if you want a stock turbo truck. If this is the case, please remember that ATS was ordered by Ford not to make the diesel too powerful, as the 460 was the top of the line engine in the trucks. ATS solved the problem by pinching the exhaust pipe and strangling the engine just when it was starting to make some power.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....I should have clarified I want the factory turbo IDI, just wanted to see what year ranges I was looking at, I've found a couple -clean- non turbo F350 duallys, but I was hoping to snag a factory turbo one. So the search goes on.

Welcome to OB, great place here TONS of info on these trucks, check the FAQ and TECH and HALL of SHAME sections, gets ya some good info and keeps yer sheckles in yer pocket!

As for ONLY a FACTORY turbo truck, I am wondering why the limited choice? Unless you are collecting and restoring dead stock truck, there is no real reason to limit yourself to one.

There really isn't any significant difference, other than the larger wrist pin and a difference in exhaust valves.

The stock NA wrist pins are more than adequate to run upwards of 300HP easily and the valves can be swapped out if you choose this option too.

There isn't a big difference in IP or injectors and many feel the STOCK Turbo G code injectors are INFERIOR to the BB's and as for an IP there are a few different ones from Mel at Conestoga Diesel aka Agnem is his user name here, and he has turbo parts, return line kits and so forth.

Justin at R&D performance has a few different pumps including some real hot ones, and a cam and great price on studs.

Stock turbo cam is same as NA cam, however Russ AKA Typ4 here has a nice torquer cam that works well with Turbos as well, and he can also access IP's and return line kits and many other things!

Thus if as I said you where restoring to concours level then I would understand the desire of the factory turbo, however if not, you have more options to go the NA and add a turbo of your choice!!! Some of the fellows have used some of the newer turbos with good to great results compared to the stock setup which was marginal at best.

Anyway you go, is of course your choice, I'm just suggesting to not limit your options unless you have some unkown reason.

Good luck anyway you go, we are here to watch, help, learn as you buy, build and drive your rig.

Again welcome to OB

Al