94 Psd, throttle off and dies?

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 94 PSD and long story short, It had some wires chewed by a pack rat, and upon repair, I had the thing running like a top! The issue I'm having is, tonight i started it up, and for some reason it would run for a while then die! It starts right back up no problem then just idle for a few seconds! Seems like when I idle up with the foot feed everything works great, but dies if i let completely off! I can run with foot feed at 900 to 1000 rpm and its great, but dies as soon as I let off! Always starts right up! Almost seems like the Tps is outa whack! Am going to check the battery voltage tomorrow, and all the vitals, just wondering if there is anything you guys have experienced that is similar?:dunno

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Should, and I personally haven't heard anyone say it caused dying, but stranger things have happened.
Another good thing to check is the ICP sensor.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had an early PSD. Are they OBDI ?
Wouldn't a scanner tell you exactly what's wrong?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The plug is technically obd2, but the system isn't.
They can be flashed over to obd2 though.
And yes, something like AE could show exactly what's going on.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there you go motox.
as this is an online forum, we can only speculate whats wrong with your truck according to your text.
get your rig scanned, dont play the guessing game. you will only waste cash.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do! Figgured out she runs fine, after you let it set for a short period of time! Seems like it only happens when you start it up and then shut it off and then start it right back up! The voltage gauge (which i understand is just a reference at best) shows there is no charge! Then when you let it set for a while, everything works without a hitch! Will get this tranny out today and diagnose, then get it on a scanner! Thanks fellas!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My thinking was, theoretically if the switch opened but didn't close when letting off, would the TPS voltage drop be able to cause it to die? Like I said, never heard of it. Guess I'm thinking outside of the box too much. Lol

Factory voltage gauge is technically function able, even though it doesn't have numbers, it will move to correspond with varying voltages.
Alternator could be weak also. These engines need proper voltage to run right.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thinking was, theoretically if the switch opened but didn't close when letting off, would the TPS voltage drop be able to cause it to die? Like I said, never heard of it. Guess I'm thinking outside of the box too much. Lol

Factory voltage gauge is technically function able, even though it doesn't have numbers, it will move to correspond with varying voltages.
Alternator could be weak also. These engines need proper voltage to run right.

when it comes to electronics, i NEVER tell anyone that their wrong.
ive seen these electronics to some crazy **** first hand.
nothing is to be thrown out unless you have an exact code, even then, its a 80/20 gamble.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance