94 idi turbo with 87 cab swap revival thread.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got trans installed and made a custom cross member from the two I had to accommodate the zf5. Also attached the 4x4 shifter and made a hole and installed the boot. Also got the used flat bed set up and starting to rework it.
Oh and installed the pedals and clutch master cylinder.
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally doing some test driving! She's mostly out together except for figuring out tail lights and trailer lighting.

Having a hard time determining if these wires went to the fuse box or they come from engine compartment. They connect to the factory trailer wiring harness.

They are behind the ebrake
-do they go to the trailer brake controller??

This is the other end

And the harness that runs down to the trailer connector

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well lights and trailer wiring kit should be delivered today.

Got the truck aligned at the shop and going down the road nice and straight.

But, discovered a fuel return line leak and a power steering leak.
Yes I did the fuel return lines already i don't know why a couple would start leaking all of the sudden.... but I'm replacing them again today!

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced some return lines. Found power steering was fine but had a bad oil cooler. It was mixing oil into the cooling system!

I replaced the oil cooler seals along with the radiator thermostat and heater core which had just crammed into them. There was literally a handful of material clogging the oil cooler! Glad I found it! Put it all back together and seems good to go.

Wired up all the lights and now I'm going to finish wiring the brake controller so o can take this hog camping.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got everything done and test drive the trailer. What a disaster.
Tried a pretty decent grade in folsom on hwy 50 truck got super hot engine light came on. Only able to pull 3rd gear barely doing 40. I'm pretty sure it needs a fanclutch but even without the overheating performance is way worse than I hoped.
My trailer weighs 4950lbs empty and it can't cut it.
7.3 idi ats turbo zf5 and 4.10 gears with 35" tires. Am I missing something or are these motors really that weak??

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the issue might be gearing. My trailer weighs about 5000 empty the truck is about 6800. From what I've found online the gcvw for my truck with a zf5 and 3.55 gears is 12,000. With the 4.10's and 35" tires 3.55 is about my effective ratio. So I wonder how much more gearing I need?? 4.55? 5.29??

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would try the 4.10s but the fan clutch is an easier fix, try to nail that down before dropping the bucks on a new gear, 3.55 can be real nice for highway driving empty

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got everything done and test drive the trailer. What a disaster.
Tried a pretty decent grade in folsom on hwy 50 truck got super hot engine light came on. Only able to pull 3rd gear barely doing 40. I'm pretty sure it needs a fanclutch but even without the overheating performance is way worse than I hoped.
My trailer weighs 4950lbs empty and it can't cut it.
7.3 idi ats turbo zf5 and 4.10 gears with 35" tires. Am I missing something or are these motors really that weak??

The little 4 banger in my Honda accord puts out more ponies (160hp) than the old school N/A IDI.:D
And it's just got the i-vtec.The fuel miser engine.

Put on 35" power robbing meats,Add 5k lbs of trailer + it's load and your going nowhere fast.

Add a turbo,intercooler,bull moose ip and a set of 4.56 gears
OR
Ditch the monster treads,go back to 235's,keep the 4.10's and at least add a turbo.If you max gross the truck with an N/A IDI, your in for a slow ride,no matter how much gearing you go with.

Last edited:

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like I just need to sell it and start over. Already has a turbo and probably won't tow anything of any significance.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I just read the thread.Cool truck!Lot's of work!You can't give up on it now.

That said,you just did everything to kill it's towing capabilities.
You swapped out a trans rated to tow more,for one rated to tow less (E4OD to ZF-5)
You added huge tires from oem,an even larger towing reduction than the trans swap.
You added huge rubber and you took the time to re-gear but you only went with a set of factory 4.10's where you needed at least 4.56 to get the performance level of 4.10's with those performance robbers on there.

Question time.
That turbo,is that the old 088? Do you have a boost gauge? PSI range,loaded at WOT?
Have you done a compression test on the engine and how many miles are on it?
What condition are the ip and injectors in? What is your timing set at?
What was your max gross for the test? Was it just the empty trailer with truck for 11,800 combined?
What was your max speed and or what seemed to be the struggle,getting up or holding speed on the flat,let alone the hills and it was just a dog doing anything?

And side question but is/was that a frame crack by your leaf springs?

Last edited:

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I just read the thread.Cool truck!Lot's of work!You can't give up on it now.

That said,you just did everything to kill it's towing capabilities.
You swapped out a trans rated to tow more,for one rated to tow less (E4OD to ZF-5)
You added huge tires from oem,an even larger towing reduction than the trans swap.
You added huge rubber and you took the time to re-gear but you only went with a set of factory 4.10's where you needed at least 4.56 to get the performance level of 4.10's with those performance robbers on there.

Question time.
That turbo,is that the old 088? Do you have a boost gauge? PSI range,loaded at WOT?
Have you done a compression test on the engine and how many miles are on it?
What condition are the ip and injectors in? What is your timing set at?
What was your max gross for the test? Was it just the empty trailer with truck for 11,800 combined?
What was your max speed and or what seemed to be the struggle,getting up or holding speed on the flat,let alone the hills and it was just a dog doing anything?

And side question but is/was that a frame crack by your leaf springs?

Thanks for the compliments I've really poured my heart and soul into this thing and about $10k over the last 5 months!

I believe turbo is the old 088 ats kit.

I have no idea how to tell what condition the injectors and pump are in but she runs well (when I'm not towing)

I had no idea the zf5 was worse, but everyone seemed to recommend or prefer the zf5 and I didn't want to buy a computer for the e40d it was in the cab of the long gone original 92 body.

I don't know about timing or how to check it

I just ordered boost and pyrometer guages so we will soon find out those numbers...

Thinking of turning up the ip some and watching those guages.
Also might go ahead and re gear since it's only a couple grand at the shop? 4.56 or even 5.29 or something? I do t care if I go faster than 55 but towing at 55 would be nice.

And finally that's not a crack it's just a drip.
I por15'd the entire frame after that pic

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A reman TECA for an E4OD is around $100 and it swaps out,in just 10 mins.What done is done though.Crazy fools around here you know; if it doesn't have a ZF5 trans and a front D60 then it's not a truck.:D (just teasing guys lol)

Well things will become more clear once you get an EGT and boost gauge.No point in doing anything until you adjust the pump accordingly,both with fuel & timing.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet truck man, would be a shame for you to sell it, but a good day for a buyer :eek: But seriously, wait for the pyro and boost gauge to come in and do some tuning and you will be much happier:Thumbs Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online