94 idi turbo with 87 cab swap revival thread.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the forum from northern Ca and am hoping I can find some help along the way on my newest project. Here's the details.

A 94 f350 4x4 7.3 idi with ATS turbo and down tube. This truck was a maintenance truck that had the cab damaged when it had around 25k on it. My buddy picked it up and did a cab and dually swap with parts from an 87 f350 he had lying around. He drove it a bit then let it sit about 8 years.

I picked it up out if the field last week. I brought two new batteries and hot wired it and got her running to drive onto the trailer. Even after all that time it started quickly with a little shot of ether.

Nothing works in the truck. The ignition cylinder spins, the dash doesn't do anything but the door chime works annoyingly. Apparently the truck has an e40d and I'm told due to the cab swap I need to buy a trans controller?
You must be registered for see images attach

Wiring is a bit of a mess and looks like some connections are missing on the injection pump, which I had to run a hit head to to get her started.

My plan is to service all fluids belts and hoses. Rebuild the brakes and get the wiring sorted so the power windows work along with the dash. I'm worried because the 87 I believe originally ran the 6.9 so i don't know if the dash will work right with the 7.3 turbo or not? Also it has a body lift I think to make room for the down tube? After I get it mechanically sound I'll worry about the cosmetics, bumpers and stuff. I plan to use it to tow my tow hauler camping.

I also seem to have an extra wiring harness in the bed along with the old pinched off down tube.

I know I've hit a bit of work ahead of me but I think she can be a good truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the computer for the e4od will fit in the 87 cab spot. its blocked off in 87, but the hole is there.
I have done OBS dash swaps on 2 of these trucks, and one with OBS holes in the firewall for the electrical connector.
adapting the 87 wiring harness to a later auto will be a big chore, good luck.
I would use the 94 harness which is hopefully the harness youre talking about.
I would zf5 swap it, then you have zero computer issues.

congrats on the purchase, youll either grow to love it, or hate it lol

im about 60 miles south/west of ya.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks IDIot. I got the truck from my buddy for only $1000 and he said he'd throw in the stuff for the manual swap if I want do tranny ideals etc minus the flywheel for free. Is that the better option? I'm not sure if the transfer case and cross member will bolt up.

Also, would the dash swap fix my wiring issues as far as guages working?

I'm hoping the harness in the bed is fir the 94 but i don't know how to tell.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
87-91 wiring harnesses have a round plug for the firewall.
the 92-97 harness has 2 rectangle plugs to the firewall
post some pics.

also if you can get that stuff for the ZF swap, I would grab it.
pics would let us help you more.
as long as its a 4x trans, or a trans with a e-brake on the end of it, it will work.

your question on the dash depends if you have the correct harness and a clean dash.
doing the dash swap is a chore, and fabrication required.

if you need any parts, let me know, I have tons.
including all of the hardware to do a dash swap if you choose, but I only have a mock up gutted dash.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I don't think it's a 4x4 tranny but I'll have to check. I might just grab most of the parts anyway.

Here is a pic of the harness. I really would like to keep the current dash and at least get the gauges working. In the future I'm hoping to get the ac to work also s I don't want to gut it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personal opinion. I would match the engine harness to the cab harness. It's had the front clip swapped too to match the cab. That's an 87-91 front clip. They had e4doa transmissions in 90 and 91 for sure so the most straight forward swap would be to find those harnesses. I don't think you would need to do anything to the trans internally but I'm not the auto trans guy.

It's always easier to match the cab and engine harness to make it all work. The engine harness is much easier to modify/back date than to update.

Just one man's opinion.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today I put on new radiator hoses heater hoses and belts. Also changed the fuel filter. I figured out why the heater core was bypassed...... gotta change that too.
Still sorting out the mysterious wiring and removing remnants of an old alarm system and bad trailer wiring.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the best things ive done to my truck, is install a new aftermarket wiring harness

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been under the hood and yanking bad wires all day. Replaced the failed ignition switch and the whole dash works. Only thing I can't do is actually start the truck from inside the cab. I think I have the correct wire to fire the starter relay but no power to it. Meanwhile I found this interesting thing. I think it's a relay plug but don't know what it's for. Any ideas? It's near the firewall by the brake booster.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More progress today. Removed the old camper shell and I can now get into the garage. [emoji2]

I changed the oil and spoke with my buddy and sorted a few mysteries.

I'm getting all the parts for hydroboost this week along with a 5 speed trans and all the goodies to make the conversion!

theshyguy

Reaction score
Looking forward to your progress. Wish I could find a bargain like that. Or at least I hope it turns out to be a bargain.

Good luck!

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I've got a decision to make and I've read 10 or more threads on the issue as I've been collecting the parts but wanted your opinions before I proceed.

My truck is an 86 cab on a 94 frame with a 4x4 e4od. But to make it functional I need to buy an aftermarket trans computer for about $500. Even then I'm not sure the trans won't need a rebuild.

My buddy gave me free a zf5 from an 89 superduty 2wd with the driveline brake setup. From what I've read that means it will work in a 4x4 application. Also he gave me the steering column and pedals etc for FREE.

Question is what should I do. Gamble on the auto or do the zf swap? I have all the mechanical ability but it is probably more work....

By the time I buy a computer or a flywheel and clutch cost will be about the same, if the auto tranny is good.... but no guarantee there.