94 idi turbo with 87 cab swap revival thread.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's been said but get the pyro. Sounds like you are low on fuel if it never smokes. Timing will make a big difference too.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's been said but get the pyro. Sounds like you are low on fuel if it never smokes. Timing will make a big difference too.

The truck runs awesome not towing. But you're right about never smoking
I'm really beginning to think it's mainly a gearing usssue. Maybe I need 4.88's?

First

I'm going to install the new fan clutch to fix over heating

Then I'm going to install the guages pyrometer and boost tomorrow. Then I can see if there's room to turn up the fuel.

Then for good measure find a good diesel shop to verify timing and all that. The timing tool is a couple hundred bucks from what I've found so if a shop will check it out for $100 that would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the timing registry to be sure there is nobody close to you to time it. Buyer beware on shops doing timing. Make sure they actually have the right tools. If you turboed the truck and didn't turn up the fuel, you aren't anywhere near realizing the potential.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the timing registry to be sure there is nobody close to you to time it. Buyer beware on shops doing timing. Make sure they actually have the right tools. If you turboed the truck and didn't turn up the fuel, you aren't anywhere near realizing the potential.

Timing registry???

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where should I mount my boost guage bung? At my finger on the turbo with the flat spot? Or the black dot if marker?

Secondly I can't seem to get this hat off. Any tips??

Thanks guys getting closer to debugging this thing.

You must be registered for see images

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would use the flat. Metal is thicker there and will take threads. It would be iffy at the black dot.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hopi g to get the hat off so I can make sure I don't get any shavings in there...

Maybe just use a greasy tap??

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After poking around some more I found a plugged and threaded hole at the back of the hat! Thanks ats!

You must be registered for see images

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed guages.
Pyrometer seems to work well boost gauge is a 0-50 style so I thought I'd see some movement. But I only saw it boost to maybe 7 psi one time. Rest of the time looks like 2 maybe 3 ?? I know a 0-15 guage may be more accurate but I'm out if $$ to f with it for now and I mostly wanted the pyrometer so I can adjust the fuel....

Any input?

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced fan clutch too. Drove it up the hill feeling pretty good. Once again over heated. Pegged the temp guage. I can easily spin the fan by hand with the motor off. Is the clutch defective??

Good thing is egt on pyrometer never went above 1000 degrees.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny thing wouldn't start back up last night after sitting about an hour.... started up no problem at all this morning.... what the heck?

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your ip is on its way out. Next time it won't start when it is hot. Throw some water on the ip and see if you can start then. If it does you need a new ip. As others have said timing the engine properly will really help too.