94 idi turbo with 87 cab swap revival thread.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also heard that the fuel cut off solenoid can become stuck. I'm going to look into putting some diesel additive to try to free it up. After all this truck sat for a good ten years before I started putting life back into it.

Also ordered a motorcraft thermostat and I'm going to get yet another fan clutch. Because I'm sure this one is not working. I'm pretty close to wanting to weld or screw the old clutch solid and see if it over heats or not then...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to do head gaskets and oil pan. Pretty sure exhaust is leaking into the water jacket. I think also a jacket may be plugged causing the over heating.

Question!!!
What about gaskets for the ats turbo kit? Will I have to make my own???? Or hope to re use them however unlikely...???

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you think the head gasket has failed and that there is a plugged water jacket? Conestoga diesel sells gasket kit for the ats turbo.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to do head gaskets and oil pan. Pretty sure exhaust is leaking into the water jacket. I think also a jacket may be plugged causing the over heating.

Question!!!
What about gaskets for the ats turbo kit? Will I have to make my own???? Or hope to re use them however unlikely...???

There is a sooty material in the coolant. Could be a head gasket blowing exhaust into the coolant. This thing originally had a radiator clogged solid and tons of gunk was blocking the water side of the oil cooler.

It only overheats under load in the hills.

Also there seems to be a lack of power especially compared to what I've read these trucks are capable of.

This truck sat for 10 years in a field, I'm just starting to have too many questions about the internal integrity.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you see any bubbles in the coolant when the truck is running? I would do a leak down test of the cooling system at the least before pulling the heads, you can also do a chemical test of the coolant to see if it is contaminated as well as test the exhaust for burning coolant.
I really recommend using a coolant filter, it would really help clean out the cooling system, maybe combine it with a good cooling system cleaner of your choice.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd pull the oil cooler before I pulled the heads. Black stuff in coolant sounds like oil to me. Did I miss that you have timed it? Egt's staying high can cause water temp issues. High oil temp can cause high water temps.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you rebuild the old radiator or replace it? Sometimes plugged up coolant passages can be caused by a previous owner filling the engine up with stop leak

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why was oil cooler re sealed?

Was truck engine thoroghly cleaned afterwards with multiple flushes to remove any oil or contamnates? If so with what product/s?

Pressure test cooling system has proven effective most of the time unless yer @IDIoit who by nkw is an expert lmao.

What tempurature are you actually running at? Or perhaps my next question should be are you going by glorified idiot light guage in the cluster...it has no real meaning. If you are using factory guage it could be the issue.

JM7.3CW Eh!

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why was oil cooler re sealed?

Was truck engine thoroghly cleaned afterwards with multiple flushes to remove any oil or contamnates? If so with what product/s?

Pressure test cooling system has proven effective most of the time unless yer @IDIoit who by nkw is an expert lmao.

What tempurature are you actually running at? Or perhaps my next question should be are you going by glorified idiot light guage in the cluster...it has no real meaning. If you are using factory guage it could be the issue.

JM7.3CW Eh!

I removed and resealed the oil cooler due to the fact that it was leaking externally. When I opened it up I found one end completely clogged with junk!
I took it apart and thoroughly cleaned it. Then removed radiator, heater core and thermostat and ran a hose through the top radiator hose with the cooler removed till the water ran clear.
I'm just using the furs dash guage and light
Which comes on when I overheat.
I have not used a cleaning product. Do you recommend any? I guess I could buy a flush kit that goes into the heater lines and open the block drains this time. And before all that should rent a pressure tester. Should hold 15psi?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I removed and resealed the oil cooler due to the fact that it was leaking externally. When I opened it up I found one end completely clogged with junk!
I took it apart and thoroughly cleaned it. Then removed radiator, heater core and thermostat and ran a hose through the top radiator hose with the cooler removed till the water ran clear.
I'm just using the furs dash guage and light
Which comes on when I overheat.
I have not used a cleaning product. Do you recommend any? I guess I could buy a flush kit that goes into the heater lines and open the block drains this time. And before all that should rent a pressure tester. Should hold 15psi?

Dissolve automatic dishwashing liquid in HOT water....make a strong solution. This will then be dumped into empty system add a se ond bucket same....then top w water n run good n hot.

This helps get any oil contaminates removed as it is a cleaner....

Then drain and flush w water....add distilled water and coolant once pressure testing confirms no leak.

Where did u get new clutch for fan. Motorcraft are only acceptable brand.

When your truck doez get hot do you hear fan kick in?

If nkt then it likely is an issue.

Get real guage to know real temps btw.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dissolve automatic dishwashing liquid in HOT water....make a strong solution. This will then be dumped into empty system add a se ond bucket same....then top w water n run good n hot.

This helps get any oil contaminates removed as it is a cleaner....

Then drain and flush w water....add distilled water and coolant once pressure testing confirms no leak.

Where did u get new clutch for fan. Motorcraft are only acceptable brand.

When your truck doez get hot do you hear fan kick in?

If nkt then it likely is an issue.

Get real guage to know real temps btw.

I thought it kicked in. But after over heating (according to the engine light) I pulled over and fan spun easily by hand. Which I don't think is supposed to happen. But it's my second fan clutch. My original fan was about the same.

I had a buddy who claims it should not lock up at highway speed and the fast air on road is enough but rather it should lock in stop n go traffic and other low air flow situations which makes sense but I still think it's wrong.

I'm going to clean the system again and take a drive to see IDIoit Friday morning and get some help with some additional checks.
Timing, coolant system pressure etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online