94 1st gen no start

94 1st GEN

Reaction score
Hey guys,I'm sure y'all have had this question on here many times,so if someone could just point me to the thread I'd be much abliged! 94.5 PSD was hardsthard stand running sluggish till warmed up,but now won't start at all! Hot batteries,multiple glo plug tries and nothing,not even white smoking!!!

Dragrace504

Reaction score
First off do you have fuel in tank? Stupid question I know but seen it a bunch of times. Check your fuel pressure,fuel pump might of gone bad also check your fuel filter,if you run low on fuel a lot you may have gotten trash or allergy from bottom of tank.

94 1st GEN

Reaction score
Both tanks are over half full and I changed fuel filter already to see if that was the problem

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the temperature when trying to start?

What is the condition of the glow plug system (relay, wiring, plugs)?

If unsure, a quick way to rule out the glow plug relay is to jump the large posts for at least 30 seconds prior to starting (a jumper cable clamp works well in this situation)

94 1st GEN

Reaction score
Temps were in the 50's the last time I tried,glo plugs are working,ran a test on them already and wiring looks solid. Thing ain't even white smoking

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
The 7.3 PSD can be a really B*tch to start when it gets cold, especially when the injector poppet valves get worn. Your best bet is to plug in the engine to get it warm. The oil needs to be warm, otherwise it's too viscous and the solenoid won't lift the poppet valve.

My experience has been the PSDs are harder to start than the IDIs.

94 1st GEN

Reaction score
I'll try that. I'm wondering if I should put a thinner oil in it?

Dragrace504

Reaction score
Have you checked your fuel pressure ? Check your IPR pigtail oil & fuel can eat coating away making bare wires touch and cause a no start also have u checked or changed Cps?

94 1st GEN

Reaction score
I know what the IPR is,but CPS? Havent checked either one but will now.

94 1st GEN

Reaction score
SebastIDIan I haven't noticed if the tach is moving or not,but I will check and get back to you.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you get the "wait to start" light indicating that the PCM has power?

If not, check the fuel bowl heater. If it shorts out it conveniently blows the same fuse tied to the PCM.

94 1st GEN

Reaction score
Yeah,the light works and so does glo plugs. I think the cam position sensor has crapped out on me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online

No members online now.