93f350 e40d TECA ?

Gachris

Reaction score
Read multiple posts and not sure if my 93f350 e40d has TECA . Looked where the relay should be and don't see it due to relay location on this truck is not clear from previous posts . Also does this truck even have it ? I don't see the assembly or the relay anywhere . I have replaced vss , trans rebuilt, both sensors on side of tranny replaced as well as harness ends , psom rebuilt , fipl and harness replaced and adjusted and checked all fuses . Problem is hard shifting . I'm a year into this truck and still shifts hard . Please help

gandalf

Reaction score
It sounds as though you've done a lot of work on your truck.

Let me verify. When you say TECA you do mean the computer which controls the E4OD transmission, don't you? If you have an E4OD, then you MUST have a computer controlling it. That computer should be behind the driver's side kick panel. That is to say, behind the panel by your left foot as you're driving. There is always the possibility that some previous owner replaced the stock computer with an aftermarket computer. The location would then be a little more vague.

You've replaced the FIPL? What are it's setting now?

Gachris

Reaction score
It's been a while since I calibrated it but if I remember correctly factory settings were 1.0 and I think I haven't set at 7.5. if I set it any higher it doesn't shift until almost 3,000 RPMs. I've had the transmission shop replace the f i p l and calibrated as well as a diesel shop. The only thing I have not messed with which I didn't know about was the t e c a. I've checked the relays and the distribution box and they don't appear to be melted or shown signs of overheating but I'm not sure which one is for the t e c a

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the OD light flash? If you push the OD off switch does the light come on? Is the OD light dimly lit and doesn’t do anything?

At the fipl do you have 5 volts between the outer 2 wires? 0.75v is to low and you should have stacked shifts at that setting.

The TECA is on the drivers side firewall, if you look between the brake booster and fender you will see the 60 pin plug sticking out. To remove the TECA you have to undo the bolt in the middle of the connector (the bolt doesn’t come out the plug), remove the two nuts above and below the plug, remove a few small screws holding the plastic fender liner so you can pull it out of the way, then you can remove the TECA out of the firewall and through the fender opening.

Before removing the TECA check the above test first and let us know what you get.

Gachris

Reaction score
My OD light does not light up but it drops it out of overdrive like it should . Yes I have 5 volts to the fipl , and if I try to calibrate the fipl any higher it shifts way too late . My teca is not on the firewall . Someone else stated it was in the kick panel but it was too late last night for me to check . I asked which relay in the distribution box was for the teca and he did not know . I don't see any other relay in line like someone else stated . Thank you in advance for the info I hope I can get this thing fixed I'm really at my wit's end .

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TECA is bolted to the firewall and slides into the cab, on 87-91 trucks you removed it from the drivers side kick panel, on 92-97 trucks it sits in the same spot but comes out the engine bay. Your TECA relay is working fine as the transmission is shifting, if it didn’t work you would have mechanical limp mode which would give you 2 gear, 4 gear and reverse at full line pressure, very harsh shifts.

The wiring in your shifter is broken, common fault on these trucks, when the wires beak you loose the OD light and/or OD switch.
You must be registered for see images attach

Gachris

Reaction score
Hey that sounds better than replacing the teca . Thank you again for your help . I will order a new shifter and replace it . Not much else I can replace . 3 shops multiple visits thousands of dollars and it still shifts hard . It's just weird sometimes it's ***** smoothe and most of the time it shifts hard . I really hope this fixes it

Gachris

Reaction score
Well this morning the truck started acting crazy . In and out of od and it seems to be in 2 and 4 the shifting harder now . From what you described it's the teca ?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get an Innova 3145 scan tool and see what codes you are getting before replacing anything.