93 Superduty Questions

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a 93 Superduty 7.3L N/A ZF5 w/ 10ft service body (subject to change)

I am wanting to know how to determine gear ratio. If I get one I will be purchasing a brownie (seems there was a find lately) but I want to know if it has 5.13's or 4.xx (.63?) to start with while I kick the idea around.

I gross over 30K moving farm equipment and hay. Been looking for a 6.5L built the same for a reasonable price but am falling short while this truck is 1/2 mile from me and been sitting on the local propane shops lot for a year. It pulled a ditcher or small loader usually.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the tag on the door jamb there should be an axle code then google that and you should have your answer!

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, I know gm has their code in the glove box but furd is new to me.

Anything odd to look for on a superduty?

Source Unknown

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the door jam sticker axle codes:

72 = 4.63

73 = 5.13

i couldn't imagine that being a deal breaker one way or the other though,but it's good to know.when i went to look at my f-super,i thought about looking up the above info first but then forgot.so didn't know what code 73 meant when i went there but i still went and got the $ for the truck as i knew all the ratio options were good towing and hauling gears for 'em.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A brownie @.75 (not sure that's correct) would put me at roughly 3.4 and 3.8 which would be good cruising and the deep stock gears would get me off the line.

My idea is put the brownie in od and the zf in 1:1 when towing.

Source Unknown

silkyj87

Reaction score
I have a 89' superduty, zf5 with 5.13s and a mitchell O/D (direct and 28% O/D) I would not have it any other way!!! The truck will absolutely pull any thing in low gear. freeway speeds with the O/D in direct is about 55mph @ 2600rpm, in O/D it resembles a 3.69:1 axle ratio. That puts me at 70mph @2500 rpm. This truck is unstoppable i weekly have 15k lbs of madrone in a dump trailer and the luxury of the 5.13s on hills makes a world of a difference when it comes to ground speed... If you can find one, mitchell also made over/under drive boxes as well. Were currently doing a custom build on a 92' cclb zf5, 4x4 with 3.55s. The mitchell is a divorced over/under drive box so we had issues making 4x4 work with an over/under drive set up and the t-case sending power to the front axle. Were using miss matched gears for the front and rear end to make it all work right. Since the 'mitchell is under drive in low our front axle ratio needs be be changed to rotate the same speed as the rear axle in 4x4 in our case a 4.10 R&P in the front matches perfect with the 3.55s in the rear via the under drive. We are not worried about the ratios in O/D because the need to drive in 4x4 O/D is not needed. After all is said and done our working ratios come out to a 4.09:1 (rear) 4.10:1 (front) low ratio and a 3.30:1 O/D ratio for 2wd only

Last edited:

silkyj87

Reaction score
As for your need to move 30k in equipment, my grandfather (who bought and built this truck new in 89') made several trips from Seattle Wa to Santa Rosa CA with 25k+ On a trailer with no issues at all. The hydro boost brakes alone on the superduty are by far one of the best features of the truck and the drive line mounted parking brake (if it works right) is the best parking brake out there. Mine held 14k lbs of wood on the steep Seattle hills no problem.

I would say the only thing to look for on the Truck is to make sure the parking brake is not leaking (it has it's own reservoir. If it's leaking it's most likely bad and they are extremely expensive to replace.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726