93 Econoline 7.3 IDI - tachometer gauge- how to?

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I´ve a 93 7.3 IDI Econoline Qigley. The Econoine share the same tranny, Engine etc with the F- Series.
As far as I know the F Series always had a tachometer, the Vans never.

I want one. I don´t want to mess around an "W" Connection at the alternator. In this case the alternator needs to be dissasembled and a wire solderd.

Is there a sensor to a tachometer, similar to the ones used in pick-ups? Actually I don´t know how the tacho is connected in the F-Series. I think I remember to have somthing read like "the sensor is not conncected in E-Series" as these don´t have a gauge from factory.

Nay ideas?

gandalf

Reaction score
The tachometer on these engines does not depend on the transmission or the alternator. The lead/sensor which controls the tachometer is on the injector pump gear housing. It's about a 1 inch (2.5cm) plug with two wires. I'll send a picture later today if nobody else has by then. Time right now is short. You will have to change the gear housing cover in order to have provision for the sensor.

You will also need the appropriate tachometer. The easiest way, in an F series, is to change the entire dashboard. I don't know whether the E series uses the same dashboard as the F series. If not, you would have to graft an F series tach into the E series dashboard.H

ope this helps point you in the right direction.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
IIRC the gauge clusters are the same betwix the E and F series, but my experience is only with US models. I would imagine you could use an aftermarket V8 tach wired to the sensor on the IP gear cover. Look in the tech article section above the stickies on this sub-board until you f8nd the one titled "tach sensor fix" (or something to that effect) to see what the sensor looks like and its location.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First is there room in the dash/factory luster for a tach.

If the project I am doing pans out and same holds true for vans there may be an option.

I am pretty sure my buddies van has a tach I will look and see.

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I would imagine you could use an aftermarket V8 tach wired to the sensor on the IP gear cover. ...
This is pretty much exactly what I had in mind.
I am planning to intstall 4-5 gauges, one is for RPM. So I will have to find a place for that anyway and pretty sure NOT the Ford F-Series tachometer.

If I have the sensor - like mentioned above at the IP (which is for sure the same on F and E) - I can use it with an aftermarket gauge for boat [< 4000rpm]. The gauges I have in mind are configurable. So whatever comes from the IP located sensor should be useful.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, On the vans, a couple of things...

If you have the E4OD transmission (Automatic Overdrive Transmission) you have the tach sensor, and the transmission is using it as part of the control.

Also, I have NEVER seen a tach in the factory cluster in an E-Series Van. So, finding a cluster with a tach is not an option. You will need to get creative for a tach in a van.......

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not that I have seen...... gas or diesel.....

In the 74-92 Vans they run the same cluster as the 73-79 (Dentside) F-Series Trucks

The 93+ Vans have a cluster all their own, that does not match the OBS or Super Duty Clusters.....

In the Dentside dash there was never a place for a tach (First F-Series that included a spot was the 80 Bullnose cluster)

On the 93+ cluster, there isn't really room for a tach either. It reminds me of a very crowded, smaller OBS cluster.... there is just enough room for the Speedometer, and the 4 "gauges" (Oil, Volt, Water, Fuel)..... I don't think Ford ever thought about putting a tach display in a van....

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is pretty much exactly what I had in mind.
I am planning to intstall 4-5 gauges, one is for RPM. So I will have to find a place for that anyway and pretty sure NOT the Ford F-Series tachometer.

If I have the sensor - like mentioned above at the IP (which is for sure the same on F and E) - I can use it with an aftermarket gauge for boat [< 4000rpm]. The gauges I have in mind are configurable. So whatever comes from the IP located sensor should be useful.
Actually, it might be simpler than that.

If memory serves, the instrument cluster from an OBS E-Series van ('92+) is interchangeable with an instrument cluster from an OBS F-Series pickup ('92-'97); the main difference is that an F-Series instrument cluster has a tachometer built in. I remember @yARIC008 doing this exact swap to get a factory tachometer in his '92 E-350. I would suggest getting in touch with him to see what exactly he did.

If memory serves, you'll have to get your hands on an instrument cluster from an IDI-powered F-Series. The PSD's circuitboards are different enough that it won't work; same with a g@$$er. I imagine that those clusters are difficult to find in Germany, but I'm also willing to bet that someone on here would be willing to help. I'm time-constrained at the moment, but if you haven't found one by the time I'm a bit more free, I'll be happy to help.

IMHO if it's possible to use the factory tach, it will make life a lot easier than trying to mess with an aftermarket tach.

Good luck ;Sweet

{on edit} I'm running off to work now, but I found this in a quick Google search...might help a bit? http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f14/1992-e350-f350-instrument-cluster-swap-280477/

Last edited:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Guten Tag!

Great thread.... right on target for me, and those 2 or 3 other late-body-IDI-E guys out there. LOL

OBS IDI Fs are crazy-rare, too, even out here in almost-no-rust California.

Vielen Dank to everyone for the info......

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
So yeah, you need to buy an f series diesel instrument cluster. This cluster is physically the same size and will interchange. You will need to redo a couple wires on the two connectors. I did this using a meter and finding the bulbs on the e series cluster then changing the wires to the new correct location on the f series cluster. You can pop the pins out of the connectors and switch the locations easily with a small standard screw driver. Then for the tach to work, you need to install a new pin and wire in the TCM to the cluster. The TCM is the same on e and f series, just on the e series there is no pin on the tach output. Off hand i dont remember exactly which spot the pin/wire goes but for some reason i'm thinking it's number 36. I can go take a pic if you want. So anyway, that connection ties directly to the tach input on the f cluster and then she'll work. I'd say this is the only way to get a factory looking tach on a van.

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi@all,

very interesting infos are coming up here.

The link and the infos for the swap to an F-Series Cluster is interesting and reminds me of what I read once. Actually this is not my route. Finding a used F-Series cluster is not that easy and for sure more expesive than an aftermarket tacho (~80$).

I am looking for the easiest way to get a RPM signal.

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to a junkyard and pull a timing cover with the sender in it already, put it on your truck, done.

with "timing cover" you mean timing like for IP timing? So there are different ones, like for trucks and vans? I am not sure what to look for. And 20 year old Ford US Diesel trucks are pretty rare here in good old Germany :dunno

Anyone a photo of what I need ( and in wich wa its different to mine)