93-97 rear end differences?

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have the opportunity to get the rear end off of a 97 f350 psd with an arb air locker in it and am wondering if there would be any complications bolting it up to my 93 idi. I'm thinking if I can just swap the whole thing drum to drum that would be the best. Are there any differences in the brakes? The gear ratio is 4.10 on both so that's convenient. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
At some point there was an upgrade to prevent the pinion nuts from coming loose. Even if a driveshaft mod was in order, the air locker would make it worth it.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
93-96 and '97 9th gens are all the same.they are the 2nd gen sterling 10.25
if the '97 shares the same body style of your '93,the axle is direct bolt in and what your after.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, sounds like a winner. The guy is thinking about putting it on his 96 f super duty duelly psd but doesn't want to do much tinkering to make it work. You guys know what differences there would be there besides the springs being different? I really want that rear arb

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing, you say if the body style is the same it's a direct bolt in. What would be different on a 91 f350. If I am able to get it I then have to decide which of my two idi f 350s to put it on. Thanks for reading my 100 questions

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, the rear axles are the same between a 91 and the OBS trucks. Most of the differences are in the front clip.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more thing, you say if the body style is the same it's a direct bolt in. What would be different on a 91 f350. If I am able to get it I then have to decide which of my two idi f 350s to put it on. Thanks for reading my 100 questions

pre -'93 would be the first gen sterling.you can put a 2nd gen sterling in place of the first gen,but your drive shaft might be too long for the longer pinion/yoke and you'd need a conversion u-joint.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the difference is only about 1/2" so I'd guess it'd probably be fine. For sure worth double checking though.

Also, the 2nd gen 10.25 is supposed to be a better axle - the difference is a longer pinion yoke to improve strength and reduce the loose yoke problems the 1st gen gets sometimes.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a 96 rear in my 93, bolted right in. A few years later I put an 89 rear in it, it also bolted right in.
Hope this helps. The pinion nuts were different but did not have to mod drive shaft. Hope this helps.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you bolted them in did you use the brakes that were on the truck with each switch or just switch it over complete with brakes? I'm pretty sure a brick nose has a different e brake peddle assembly, not that that would make it different in the rear. Are all the fittings all the same for brakes? Was the u joint the same on all three axles. Thanks again

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used the emergency brake cables on truck. Used flexible brake line from frame of truck. Used axle drum to drum and brake lines from side to side of axle. Except for pinion length all 3 were identical. I would measure spring pad width unless you're sure it came from a pick up with bed.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds promising. The truck the axle is coming off of is a regular f350 pickup like mine both manual trans. The guys other truck is a cab and chassis dually with the skinnier springs, do those also have a different spring pad width? He doesn't weld or fab so if that's the case I bet he'll sell it to me. Thanks for the responses looks like I should try pretty hard to get it.