92 460 F 250 wont strat with the key

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
92 460 F 250 wont start with the key

As the title says no start by key. Will jumper off the solenoid tho.

The truck was running fine up until last week then died.

Fuse popped for the odometer memory then would not start by the key.

The neutral safety switch and ignition control module have been replaced.
Ignition switch is confirmed functioning.
I'm running out of ideas as to what could be causing no signal power to the solenoid.
Everything I'm testing is checking out ok.:dunno

I'm about to give up on it as I've got 10 hrs into troubleshooting this one and my buddy needs the truck back and needs it right.
I hate electrical issues!!!!

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
As the title says no start by key. Will jumper off the solenoid tho.

The truck was running fine up until last week then died.

Fuse popped for the odometer memory then would not start by the key.

The neutral safety switch and ignition control module have been replaced.
Ignition switch is confirmed functioning.
I'm running out of ideas as to what could be causing no signal power to the solenoid.
Everything I'm testing is checking out ok.:dunno

I'm about to give up on it as I've got 10 hrs into troubleshooting this one and my buddy needs the truck back and needs it right.
I hate electrical issues!!!!
dont rem which wire out of the key switch,,butttt, is that getting live to the solenoid with key to start position??? switches die on occasion...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Yep, red wire with blue tracer goes hot with the key
In start position.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I know this will not help....... but

It has SPARK PLUGS!!!!! That is the biggest problem with it......:rotflmao:rotflmao

But seriously... I would agree with the others, bad switch.... or could it be the little pot-metal rod thing that breaks, not moving the switch? Does the ECM need to talk to the dash to run the truck? (Like the light has to work for the alt to charge.......)

sassyrel

Reaction score
Yep, red wire with blue tracer goes hot with the key
In start position.

hot clear to the fender mtd solenoid??? if so, is the wire opposite the hot batt one, on the solenoid,,,going hot??? and if that is,,the solenoid on top of the starter may be going intermittenent..also,,just because CURRENT,goes thru the fender solenoid,,doesnt mean AMPERAGE, is going thru..

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well yeah spark plugs are evil no doubt and thanks to John H providing me with some much needed schematics detail, I found a bad wire tonight from the range indicator to the starter solenoid. Replaced that wire and she fired right off. So apparently something caused the break and popped the fuse.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Well yeah spark plugs are evil no doubt and thanks to John H providing me with some much needed schematics detail, I found a bad wire tonight from the range indicator to the starter solenoid. Replaced that wire and she fired right off. So apparently something caused the break and popped the fuse.

thats why i asked in post 5,,if the blue w/tracer was hot all the way to the solenoid.....

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
thats why i asked in post 5,,if the blue w/tracer was hot all the way to the solenoid.....

It is now. Found the actual break tonight while running a new wire to the solenoid.
Split loom had been compromised Ocer the transfer case and allowed the wire to rub on the t case till it shorted out and burned thru!-cuss

After adding a steering column rebuild to my bucket list last night, my buddy now has his truck back good as new.:thumbsup:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
your electrical wire smoke must be expired...

LOL
Yup, my PLC professor told us that back when I was in college and if you let the smoke out of a component it will not run without it.

And is no wonder why I chose to chase dogs 40 hours a week.LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.