91 7.3 siezed after sitting for 2 hours?

Idilarry89

Reaction score
CARNAGE SHOTS!!!
So I should probably be finishing up customers stuff today but looking at this engine sitting on my floor made me put gloves on and dig in!
You must be registered for see images attach

Idilarry89

Reaction score
No matter what I do it won't let me upload the other 3 pics of the head. The cylinder wall is perfect! And I think the head is salvageable, but the piston as you can see is fubarred -cuss
The head is a little beat up but the seat is all there and has one deep mark in the rim right above it prolly from that piston RAMMING tne valve through its seat. but I'm sure that can be cleaned up. So it looks like I need, atleast a head, and a piston...

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it looks like there is some sludge in that motor. that thing must have made some noise before it was shut down.

jdb

Reaction score
Interesting photos, thanks for posting.

In the top photo, it looks like two of the valve cover bolts on the left side valve cover (that has been removed) have been replaced by threaded shanks that you put a nut on, and at least one on the right side. Why would that be - did the PO strip the threads/break a bolt in those holes?

Idilarry89

Reaction score
Yeah there's a Lotta sludge...I think there's a little more to this story than he let on. But the valve head is caked in soot so It must have broke off aND entered the exhaust piping a while before the motor stopped. Stem stayed in the guide, then dropped out after it was shut down a few run cycles later. Welcome to South Dakota rancher mentality, run it till it don't run no more then try and run it more.
The valve cover studs are there from a relocation for the banks turbo just can't remember what right now lol....but their factory locations were in the front and back of the head.
Lol I think it is the same! Although when I had a chuffing issue the first time in my 89, it was the back drivers exhaust valve. But I was lazy and I didn't feel like pulling the pass head and doing it at the same isn't and a week later chuffing was back :mad:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See more to this than just me and my luck....

Dayum man u lucked out so much no funny...I got the whalloped piston and bent rod in the shop as a constant reminder....

Block with gaping huge crack long gone.

Idilarry89

Reaction score
Lol. I know. I went and talked to an old timer mechanic and he even said the head should be alright! How the hell can a valve get pushed back through the it's seat and into the exhaust and NOT destroy the seat idk...he said it's the damn destination thing he's ever seen... I'm gunna have the machine shop mag the rod when I have the piston pressed on. Now for idiot question... does anyone know if the 7.3s guides are integral or pressed in... I did a little searching ( but not much) and it looks integral, but I'm not sure with all the crap around the stem.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
From what I've read, they are integral, but to repair them they can be drilled out and a new guide pressed in.

Once again, someone else should verify this since I haven't done it :D

Idilarry89

Reaction score
I know you can put in liners ( such as k-liners) but I'm on the fence about them and am kinda curious about other options, besides the valve guide boss (I'll call it that anyways) is destroyed. That is the 3/4 inch or so of guide that sticks up inside the springs under the seal.

Idilarry89

Reaction score
Ok guys so I found a set of heads at the local ford graveyard. Old Benny Hatch the owner wants 100 bucks for the set. he's pretty sure it's an idi anyways. Last night i found a piston with wrist pin and rings on ebay for 55 bucks (NOS). Anyways couldn't find my card and didn't feel like going out side to get it, and looked again at the description this morning, turns out its for an IDI-T. -cuss
So if anyone has a good used piston, pin and rod they want to sell me I'd be grateful 
I'd post pics of the head like I promised but it's still not letting me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online