9004 to 9007?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Will the 9007 bulbs work in the 9004 housings? I remember reading that the wires needed to be swapped for the low and high beams to work, but will they throw the right pattern?
The filaments on the 9004 are cross ways to the bulb while the filaments in the 7's are length wise.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they will fit and work fine i had the reverse when i did the clip swap

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think its fine, no promises.

and yes the wires aren't the same so you'll need to cut n splice. Easy job though. While yoru at it you might wanna put in a relay kit or make your own :dunno

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Already have the lmc relay harness in. I was looking at putting in the sylvania silverstar bulbs and noticed that they have the silverstar ultra in the 9007 and I thought I might like them.
I had silverstars in my ranger and they make a difference and I figured the ultra's would be even better.
Isn't the wattage higher for the 7's?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
1992 - up trucks used 9007 bulbs. 1987 - 1991 used 9004 bulbs and 1980 - 1986 used sealed beams.

To make them work you need to clip wires at the plug and change them around (I forget WHAT ones, but I can find out) and you need to file a groove out of the headlight housing for them to slide in right.

The plug and trim ring will all work just fine.

I have done this mod myself when I got some REALLY NICE 9004 white light bulbs for free!!! $80 set of bulbs just handed to me lol.

I am back to the factory 9007's now.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flareside hids suck on these trucks and to my knolege noone makes a kit either
but one guy tried it a while back and hated them the projection is designed for a non refractor lense and we have a refractor lense

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flareside hids suck on these trucks and to my knolege noone makes a kit either
but one guy tried it a while back and hated them the projection is designed for a non refractor lense and we have a refractor lense

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
those hid kits are actually illegal to use and a cop can pull u over due to the beam pattern scattering all over the place and blinding oncoming drivers

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
those hid kits are actually illegal to use and a cop can pull u over due to the beam pattern scattering all over the place and blinding oncoming drivers

Correct.

Unless the vehicle left the FACTORY with HIDs they are illegal

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Now on THAT topic, I asked a local DOT officer about them....said I wanted to run then in the pick 'em up and he said go for it. As far as they are soncerned, uness it is a commercial vehicle they don't care...for now that is.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Now on THAT topic, I asked a local DOT officer about them....said I wanted to run then in the pick 'em up and he said go for it. As far as they are soncerned, uness it is a commercial vehicle they don't care...for now that is.

But chris. You are a Canuck, and not in America:rotflmao